About This Chapter
OAE Early Childhood Education: Language Development - Chapter Summary
Let us aid you in brushing up on your knowledge of language development in young children. Learn more about different types of speech disorders and discover how children learn a second language as you study for the OAE Early Childhood Education exam. Our lessons and quizzes examine the following topics to help you answer these types of test questions:
- Defining language
- Understanding how children acquire language, including stages of language development
- Identifying types of speech delays in young children
- Examining the types of language skills and how children develop them
- Looking at the impact of culture and the environment on language development
- Defining phonemes and phonological development in children
- Naming characteristics of speech sound errors
- Analyzing facts about bilingual and multicultural education
Our instructors make these short lessons informative and entertaining, offering a chance for a solid review of topics you studied in college and maybe introducing some new concepts. You can study online as your schedule permits, and you can even watch our lessons on a mobile device.
Objectives of the OAE Early Childhood Education: Language Development Chapter
Ohio educators seeking certification to teach children from pre-kindergarten through third grade must pass the OAE Early Childhood Education exam. The topics highlighted in this Language Development chapter are reflected in the exam's section on language and literacy development, which makes up 29% of the test's total score.
The OAE exam is a computer-based, multiple-choice assessment. You can practice answering questions in this format through the short quizzes that accompany each of our video lessons. These quizzes also let you gauge your knowledge and get a feel for what topics might require additional review before exam day.
1. What Is Language?
Have you ever wondered how human language is constructed to form meaning? Why is language more complex than animal calls? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the basic units language and learn how meaning is formed.
2. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
3. Language Acquisition: Definition, Theories & Stages
Have you ever wondered how humans are able to learn, process, comprehend and speak a language? In this lesson on language acquisition, we'll take a look at some distinctions between languages and learn how babies come to understand and speak a language.
4. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
5. Language Learning in Infants and Toddlers
Language development is a long process, and there are many types of speech that babies take part in. This lesson explores language development and some key types of speech, including child-directed speech, syncretic speech, and telegraphic speech.
6. Speech Delays in Toddlers & Children: Types & Examples
Did you know that over 7 percent of children in the United States have some type of speech delay? In this lesson, you'll learn more about the different types of speech delays from examples.
7. Linguistics: Language Development in Children
How does a baby's babble turn into intelligible speech? Are there underlining innate traits that drive language development in children? Or is it the social interaction with others that encourages language development? This lesson will explore these questions and discuss how aspects of language change over time.
8. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
9. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
10. Phonological Development in Children: Stages & Overview
In this lesson you'll learn all about how children develop the ability to turn basic units of sound into actual language. We'll cover the major phonological skills and the stages of development. Following the lesson is a short quiz.
11. Characteristics of Speech Sound Errors: Speech & Communication Disorders
In this lesson, we explore speech sound disorders, which include articulation deficits, phonological process disorder and fluency disorder. Also learn the characteristics of each of these disorders.
12. Bilingual Education, Immersion & Multicultural Education
Educators use many approaches for second-language instruction. The approaches vary based on the individual needs of the learner, focusing on his or her current language abilities, background, and cultural experiences. This lesson will differentiate between the different types of second-language instruction, including immersion, bilingual education, and multicultural education.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Early Childhood Education (012): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Infant & Young Child Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Theories on Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Developmental Factors
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Child Health & Safety
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Positive Learning Environments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Reading Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Writing Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Educator Role & Responsibilities
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Assessments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Learning through the Arts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Health & Physical Education
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Numbers & Arithmetic
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language & Reasoning
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Culture
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Geography
- OAE Early Childhood Education: American History Overview
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Civics & Economics
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Basic Scientific Concepts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Earth & Space Science
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Physical Sciences
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Living Organisms
- OAE Early Childhood Education Flashcards