About This Chapter
OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy - Chapter Summary
When studying for the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Earth and Space Science exam, be sure to check out this important chapter on astronomy. In this chapter, our professional instructors discuss topics including stars, galaxies and astronomical observation. After watching these videos, you should be prepared for questions about:
- The science of astronomy
- Studies of celestial bodies
- Measurements of distant celestial bodies
- Magnitude scale and star brightness
- The Balmer thermometer
- Spectroscopic parallax
- Hindrances of astronomical observations on Earth
- History, dangers and benefits of space travel
Enhance your retention of the information presented in these lessons by completing the assessment quizzes that accompany them. You can also use these assessments to discover topics that you may need to review further before you take the OAE Earth and Space Science exam. Reinforce your understanding of these topics by reading over the lesson transcripts or returning to the lesson videos with the convenient video tags.
OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy - Chapter Objectives
The OAE Earth and Space Science exam measures future teachers' mastery of earth and space science topics, with 150 computer-administered multiple-choice questions. Test takers are asked to complete these questions in a three-hour testing session. Nineteen percent of these questions belong to the astronomy content domain. Use this chapter to gain a better understanding of the way astronomy is studied as you prepare for questions in this domain.
1. The Scientific Field of Astronomy
Space is a large and exciting place, full of things we have yet to discover. Astronomy aims to uncover the mysteries of space, something people have been fascinated with as long as they have been on Earth.
2. Planetary Geology: The Study of Celestial Bodies
Planetary geology is a field of geology that explores celestial bodies like planets, moons, comets, and asteroids. Scientists use a variety of advanced techniques and procedures to carry out their research on these distant bodies.
3. Measuring the Properties of Distant Galaxies
This lesson will go over a couple of methods astronomers use to find out the properties of a distant galaxy, namely, its distance away from us and its mass.
4. Measuring Objects in the Sky: Angular Size & Distance
This lesson will teach you about the celestial sphere, angular distance, angular size and diameter, arc minutes, and arc seconds. You'll also learn some neat tricks on how to use your own hands to measure these.
5. Measuring The Distance to a Star
This lesson will tell you how astronomers can measure the distance to a star and how it relates to the way surveyors measure distances to landmarks right here on Earth.
6. How to Find the Size of a Star
This lesson will tell you how astronomers figure out the size of stars. You'll learn it has to do with a star's temperature, luminosity, and a cool thing known as the H-R diagram.
7. Using the Magnitude Scale to Compare Star Brightness
This lesson will describe the magnitude scale, apparent brightness, and apparent visual magnitude. It will also teach you how to compare the brightness of stars.
8. Uses of the Balmer Thermometer in Astronomy
This lesson will outline for you how the temperature of a star can be determined using spectroscopy as discovered by none other than Cecilia Payne. It's a method of determining stellar temperatures called the Balmer Thermometer.
9. Spectroscopic Parallax: Definition & Uses
How can you find the distance to a star? One way is to use the spectroscopic parallax to approximate the distance to a star using two key concepts in astronomy: apparent and absolute magnitude.
10. Factors That Hinder Astronomical Observations on Earth
This lesson will discuss several important factors that affect the ability of someone using a telescope to see a celestial object clearly, including weather, dust, seeing, and light pollution.
11. Space Travel: History, Dangers & Benefits
Space is fascinating. Humans have been sending objects into space for decades, trying to learn about Earth and what's beyond. But while space travel can be beneficial, there are also risks that come along with exploring the rest of the universe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Earth & Space Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Notation & Measurements
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Modern Scientific Theories
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Interdisciplinary Science
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Historical Geology
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Theory of Evolution
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Volcanoes
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Materials
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Natural Resources
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Oceans
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weather
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Climate & Climate Change
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Galaxies
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Sun & Other Stars
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Solar System
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Earth & Moon
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Earth & Space Science Flashcards