About This Chapter
OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter have been assembled to aid in your review for the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Earth and Space Science exam by explaining the hydrologic cycle. In them, professional instructors explain the properties of water, steps in the water cycle and the relationship between the four spheres of Earth. After completing this chapter you should be prepared for questions on:
- Properties of water
- Precipitation, condensation and evaporation
- Distribution of water
- Processes of runoff and infiltration
- Geosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere and atmosphere
Fortify your understanding of the hydrologic cycle and find any areas of weakness by taking the lesson quizzes. You can return the lessons to reinforce your understanding of the material you didn't master using video tags that take you directly to the key locations of the lessons. If you desire an alternative way of reviewing the material, try reading over the text transcripts that present the same information but in a written format.
OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle Chapter Objectives
The OAE Earth and Space Science assessment is a teachers certification exam used in the state of Ohio. When you take this exam you will be asked to respond to 150 multiple-choice questions in a 180-minute testing session. Nineteen percent of the questions on this exam belong to the domain of Oceanography and Freshwater Systems. In this section, you can expect a few to ask about the hydrologic cycle. The purpose of this chapter is to prepare you for these question through its lessons and assessments.
1. Properties of Water
Why does ice float? Why can water rise on its own against gravity in a small tube? Find out how these mysterious properties of water can be explained by hydrogen bonds.
2. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
3. The Distribution of Water on Earth
Water covers most of Earth but in a variety of forms. In this video lesson you will learn about how water is distributed on Earth, though you may be surprised to find out just how little of it we can access!
4. Runoff & Infiltration: Definition & Process
When water falls to the ground as precipitation, it can either fill the spaces in the soil below ground or run across the surface. In this video lesson, you will learn about the processes of infiltration and runoff, and how they are an important part of the water cycle on Earth.
5. The Four Spheres of Earth: Geosphere, Hydrosphere, Biosphere, and Atmosphere
Earth is made up of four distinct yet connect spheres. In this video lesson, you will learn about where each sphere is found on Earth, as well as some features commonly found in each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Earth & Space Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Notation & Measurements
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Modern Scientific Theories
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Interdisciplinary Science
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Historical Geology
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Theory of Evolution
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Volcanoes
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Materials
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Natural Resources
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Oceans
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weather
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Climate & Climate Change
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Galaxies
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Sun & Other Stars
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Solar System
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Earth & Moon
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Earth & Space Science Flashcards