About This Chapter
OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you can watch a series of lesson videos, taught by expert instructors, on topics related to laboratory safety. Use these videos to prepare for questions on the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Earth and Space Science exam about:
- Safety concerns, precautions and regulations for scientific research
- Types of and uses for laboratory equipment
- Safe storage and disposal of chemicals
- SDS/OSHA labels for chemicals and supplies
- Disposal of hazardous materials
If you have any questions as you work through the chapter, you can ask our instructors for clarification. Reinforce your understanding of the information presented in these lessons by completing the lesson quizzes. The quizzes can also help you identify topics you need to review further, and they provide a link to the corresponding portion of the video that explains any wrong answers.
OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety - Chapter Objectives
The OAE Earth and Space Science exam is a computer-administered certification exam composed of 150 multiple-choice questions. The exam is used to measure prospective Ohio earth science educators' mastery of geology, oceanography and astronomy. On test day, you will be asked to complete the exam within a 180-minute testing session. Of the material covered on the exam, 18% falls in the Nature of Science content domain. This chapter helps you prepare for question within this domain about safety precautions when conducting laboratory research.
1. Conducting Scientific Research: Safety Concerns & Regulations
When scientists conduct research, safety is a top concern. Learn about the kinds of hazards a scientist faces depending on the kind of work that they do, as well as some risks with scientific research. Plus, see how safety regulations protect all of us.
2. Understanding Risks & Taking Safety Precautions in Science Experiments
An important step in designing your experiment involves identifying and evaluating any potential safety risks. Knowing what these risks are ahead of time can help you avoid accidents and dangerous situations, which helps keep the experiment safe and fun for all.
3. Common Laboratory Equipment: Types & Uses
Biologists use all kinds of equipment in their labs to run their experiments. In this lesson, you'll identify some of the most common pieces of equipment as well as when you should or shouldn't use them.
4. Chemistry Lab Equipment: Supplies, Glassware & More
When you bake a cake, you use different tools for each step in the process: a bowl for mixing, cups for measuring ingredients and an oven for baking. In this lesson, you will discover the name and purpose of many of the different tools that are used in the chemistry lab.
5. Laboratory Safety Techniques: Protecting People and Equipment
Laboratory safety is not fun, but following the rules ensures that lab activities can be enjoyed by everyone. In this lesson, we cover some basic lab safety rules to follow that will help lab time be both safe and fun.
6. Standard Laboratory Safety Equipment
Even with proper precautions, lab accidents do happen. When they do, knowing what safety equipment is in your lab, where it is located, and how to use it can prevent further harm to both the lab and the people working in it.
7. Personal Safety Equipment for the Science Lab
Science labs are great places to explore and learn. But they're only as safe as the people who use them, so in this lesson, we'll discuss some of the ways that you can protect yourself and prevent personal harm in the event of a lab accident.
8. Safe Chemical Storage, Use & Disposal
An important part of lab safety involves the correct usage, storage, and disposal of chemicals. Lab safety is everyone's responsibility, so it's important that you know the proper procedures and protocols for using chemicals in the lab.
9. Understanding SDS/OSHA Labels on Chemicals & Supplies
Safety Data Sheets are an important component of safe lab work. In this lesson, we'll dissect an SDS to better understand its various components and see how they help keep you and everyone else safe in any lab setting.
10. Disposing of Hazardous Materials: Public Safety & Controversy
Hazardous materials come in all types and from many sources. Because they may be harmful to human health, it's important to dispose of them properly and safely. It's also due to this potential harm that both their use and disposal are controversial.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Earth & Space Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Notation & Measurements
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Modern Scientific Theories
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Interdisciplinary Science
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Historical Geology
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Theory of Evolution
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Volcanoes
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Materials
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Natural Resources
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Oceans
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weather
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Climate & Climate Change
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Galaxies
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Sun & Other Stars
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Solar System
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Earth & Moon
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Earth & Space Science Flashcards