About This Chapter
OAE Earth and Space Science: Modern Scientific Theories - Chapter Summary
This chapter discusses theories and principles that pertain to evolution, relativity and quantum physics. Prior to sitting for the OAE Earth and Space Science examination, use the lessons to review topics such as biogeography, the Rutherford model and endosymbiosis. Refresh your memory of atomic spectra and enhance your knowledge of the mass-energy equivalence equation. This chapter might also assist you with:
- Explaining the theory of relativity
- Discussing quantum theory
- Understanding the evolution of the universe and presenting supporting evidence
- Describing the history of atomic theory
- Discussing the development of the Bohr model
- Examining the basis for the Watson and Crick model of DNA
- Interpreting the theory of endosymbiosis
After going through the lessons and brushing up on these topics, you could more accurately answer OAE Earth and Space Science questions on modern scientific theories. The lessons are short, yet filled with information that can improve your examination performance. Video lessons include navigational video tags and text transcripts and all lessons come with an accompanying multiple-choice practice quizzes. You can submit any questions to our science experts.
OAE Earth and Space Science - Modern Scientific Theories - Chapter Objectives
Questions on modern scientific theories and ideas are included in the Nature of Science domain of the OAE Earth and Space Science examination. This first domain of the five-part test is equal to 18% of the entire assessment score. There are 150 multiple-choice questions on the computer-administered examination. You'll be allowed 180 minutes for completion, which doesn't include a 15-minute computer-based tutorial.
1. Theory of Relativity: Definition & Example
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn about the theory of special relativity and how it applies to you. Learn how you can use one of the most famous equations from this theory to calculate the power inside just one tiny object.
2. Quantum Theory: Definition & Examples
After watching this lesson you will be able to explain what quantum theory is, including some key principles and scenarios, and list some applications of quantum theory. A short quiz will follow..
3. The Evolution of the Early Universe
This lesson will describe four important stages of development in the early universe, the radiation era, recombination (decoupling) epoch, the dark age, and reionization era.
4. Scientific Evidence That Supports Evolution
Evolution explains how species that are present on Earth today are modified descendants of their ancestors. This scientific theory is supported by many different types of evidence, which show how evolution is a very real and natural phenomenon.
5. Early Atomic Theory: Dalton, Thomson, Rutherford and Millikan
Imagine firing a bullet at a piece of tissue paper and having it bounce back at you! You would probably be just as surprised as Rutherford when he discovered the nucleus. In this lesson, we are going to travel back in time and discuss some of the major discoveries in the history of the atom.
6. The Bohr Model and Atomic Spectra
Do you ever wonder where light comes from or how it is produced? In this lesson, we are going to use our knowledge of the electron configurations and quantum numbers to see what goes on during the creation of light.
7. Watson & Crick Model of DNA
This lesson will review the Watson & Crick model of DNA and how it applies to our understanding of genetic material. By the end you will understand what Watson and Crick discovered and explain what its structure looks like.
8. The Endosymbiosis Theory: Evolution of Cells
Ever wonder why some cells are very simple and others are complex with countless organelles to remember? We will look at how simple cells evolved to become more complex cells - as well as evidence to support this.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Earth & Space Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Notation & Measurements
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Interdisciplinary Science
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Historical Geology
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Theory of Evolution
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Volcanoes
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Materials
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Natural Resources
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Oceans
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weather
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Climate & Climate Change
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Galaxies
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Sun & Other Stars
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Solar System
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Earth & Moon
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Earth & Space Science Flashcards