About This Chapter
OAE Earth and Space Science: Natural Resources - Chapter Summary
Watching the videos in this chapter can teach you more about the products and services that can be created from the Earth's raw materials. Through the process of preparing for the OAE Earth and Space Science examination, you'll review some of the methods used to extract minerals. You can also examine the ways in which fossil fuels can be utilized as low-cost energy resources. This chapter's online videos can help you to:
- Explore economic geology
- Differentiate between mineral deposits and ore
- Discuss the concentration of mineral resources
- Understand the process of finding, extracting and evaluating minerals
- Describe where Earth's mineral deposits, oil and gas reserves can be found
- List the advantages and disadvantages of fossil fuels
- Explore the technologies that create cleaner coal
- Understand the uses for rangelands
- Discuss the implications of desertification and deforestation
Expand your knowledge of these topics with the help of the well-qualified lesson instructors. Use the videos as a way to review Earth's natural resources whenever time permits. Video tags make it easy to navigate the lessons. You can also check the written transcripts, submit your questions and take the short self-assessment quizzes that follow each of the lessons.
OAE Earth and Space Science: Natural Resources - Chapter Objectives
Domain II of the OAE Earth and Space Science examination covers geology. Adding up to 25% of the total assessment score, this domain is where you'll translate your grasp of this chapter's material into knowledge-driven test answers. The entire assessment consists of 150 multiple-choice questions. You'll be allowed up to 180 minutes to complete the computer-based examination, but this doesn't include a 15-minute tutorial.
1. What is Economic Geology?
Explore the field of geology that provides us with the raw earth materials we need. In this lesson, we'll learn the scope of economic geology and introduce some topics that will be covered in greater detail in the rest of the chapter.
2. What Distinguishes Ore from Other Mineral Deposits?
Ore deposits provide the raw materials that allow our society to function. In this lesson, we'll look at the driving forces that cause ore deposits to be unique from non-valuable mineral deposits.
3. How Minerals Become Concentrated
In order to locate valuable mineral resources, geologists have to understand how these resources are concentrated in the earth. This lesson examines the six methods through which valuable minerals are concentrated by natural processes.
4. Plate Tectonics and the Location of Mineral Deposits
In this lesson, we learn why a large portion of Earth's valuable mineral deposits are located along current and ancient tectonic plate boundaries. We'll also review the types of plate boundaries and how mineral resources are formed at each type.
5. Finding and Assessing Mineral Resources
Because mineral resources are so rare, they are not easy to locate. In this lesson, we'll learn the process that geologists use to find and assess valuable mineral deposits.
6. Extraction and Processing of Minerals & the Environmental Impacts of Mineral Use
In this lesson, you will learn about the different methods used to extract minerals from the ground and gain an understanding about how different types of mining affect the environment.
7. What Are Fossil Fuels? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Fossil fuels are sources of energy that have developed within the earth over millions of years. Because fossil fuels - oil, natural gas, and coal - take so long to form, they are considered nonrenewable. Learn more about these fuels, including the pros and cons of using them.
8. Oil and Natural Gas Reserves: Availability, Extraction and Use
Oil and natural gas reserves are found underground and must be extracted using a drilling method. In this lesson you will learn about the many uses of oil and natural gas, the availability of these valuable resources and how they are extracted.
9. Coal Mining: Environmental Impacts and Technologies Used To Make Cleaner Coal
Coal is an abundant fuel source, but burning coal is problematic for the environment. In this lesson, you will learn about clean coal technologies, such as coal washing, flue gas desulfurization systems, low-NOx burners, gasification, and Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS).
10. Rangelands: Uses and Degradation
Rangeland covers much of the land area of the world. The lack of rainfall in these areas makes it useful land for grazing livestock and provides environmental benefits. Learn about the uses of rangeland and the potential for rangeland degradation.
11. Deforestation, Desertification & Declining Biological Diversity
When trees are lost due to deforestation, the result can be a drier climate and desertification or the transformation of the once fertile land to desert. Learn how deforestation and desertification can lead to a decline in biological diversity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Earth & Space Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Notation & Measurements
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Modern Scientific Theories
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Interdisciplinary Science
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Historical Geology
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Theory of Evolution
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Volcanoes
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Materials
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Oceans
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weather
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Climate & Climate Change
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Galaxies
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Sun & Other Stars
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Solar System
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Earth & Moon
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Earth & Space Science Flashcards