About This Chapter
OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society - Chapter Summary
In preparation for the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Earth and Space Science exam, complete this chapter to study the nature of science and the relationship between scientific research and society. Watch the lesson videos to build expertise in the areas of:
- The nature and philosophy of science
- Scientific research
- Developing scientific questioning through observations
- Timeline, breakthroughs and effects of the scientific revolution
- Modern advances and technologies of science and their impact
- Societal changes due to scientific progress
- Controversies of scientific research
- Science and mass media
These lessons are taught by expert instructors who are available to answer any questions you may develop during the course of the this chapter so that you can effectively master the material presented. Ensure your retention of the information in these lessons by completing the lesson worksheets and quizzes. Use your quiz results to find areas of weakness, then improve upon these areas by returning to specific points in the videos via the video tags.
OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society Chapter Objectives
Educators take the OAE Earth and Space Science exam to demonstrate their knowledge of geology, oceanography and astronomy. This computer-based certification exam is made up of 150 multiple-choice questions. Questions on the Nature of Science domain of the exam reflect the material in this chapter. The exam must be completed within three hours. This chapter will prepare you for test questions by aiding in your review of scientific advances and the relationship between research and society.
1. The Nature of Science
This lesson will explore the basic nature of science. It will distinguish science from pseudoscience and hypothesis from theory and natural law; it will give plenty of examples of each.
2. What is The Philosophy of Science?
In this lesson, consider what it means for knowledge to be based on science. You'll learn how four key philosophers describe science and how a few question the value of the scientific method.
3. What is Scientific Research?
This lesson will discuss important components of scientific research, including the scientific method, peer review, statistical significance, and more!
4. How Scientific Observations Lead to Scientific Questioning
Scientific observations are a major component of the scientific process because they lead scientists to ask questions about the world around them. These questions may then be refined with continued observation, or they may be tested through experimentation.
5. The Scientific Revolution: Timeline, Breakthroughs & Effects
In this lesson, you will explore the period when Western society first turned to science as the new way of thinking, called the Scientific Revolution. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. The Advance of Science & Technology Since 1945: Developments & Impact
In this lesson, we explore just a few of the numerous advances and innovations made in the worlds of sciences and technology, from automobiles and televisions to computers and phones that can fit in the palm of your hand.
7. How Science Has Changed Society
Without science, our modern world just wouldn't be the same. The way we travel, shop, learn, socialize, eat, work, and play is possible because of scientific influences and innovations. Take a look around, and you'll see science pretty much everywhere!
8. How Scientific Discoveries Can Cause People to Change Their Beliefs
Personal beliefs are one thing that people hold to very tightly. However, over time, with enough scientific evidence, a critical eye and consistent experiments, science can and does change people's beliefs in ways that simple observations cannot.
9. Controversies in Physical Science Research
Political, religious, and social factors all have influenced the funding and development of physical science research throughout the years. This lesson will introduce a few cases of physical science research and technology that have been mired in controversy due to political, religious, and social factors.
10. Science in the Mass Media
Learn about the importance of the mass media to communicate scientific discoveries and the many issues with how that communication happens. See how well you understand by taking a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Earth & Space Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Notation & Measurements
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Modern Scientific Theories
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Interdisciplinary Science
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Historical Geology
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Theory of Evolution
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Volcanoes
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Materials
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Natural Resources
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Oceans
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weather
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Climate & Climate Change
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Galaxies
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Sun & Other Stars
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Solar System
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Earth & Moon
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Earth & Space Science Flashcards