About This Chapter
OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry - Chapter Summary
Before you take the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Earth and Space Science test, review this chapter to fortify your knowledge about the tools and processes of scientific inquiry in the fields of Earth and space science. These lessons are conducted by professional instructors who are available to answer any questions you may have about these processes so that you will be prepared to answer exam questions about:
- Steps and terms of the scientific method
- Tools used for scientific tests and data collection
- Sampling techniques
- Methodology of the experimental design
- Interpreting data on tables, graphs and charts
- Precision, accuracy and errors in evaluating data
- Reporting experimental results
- Using maps, models and geospatial technologies
In addition to these videos, complete the lesson worksheets to improve your retention of the information presented. Also, take the lesson quizzes to find topics you don't fully understand and return to the lessons to improve your comprehension of these topics. When returning to the lesson videos use video tags that will take you straight to specific topics. For an alternative review, read over the written outlines of the lessons presented as lesson transcripts.
OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry - Chapter Objectives
OAE Earth and Space Science is a certification exam used in the state of Ohio to certify educators interested in teaching the sciences of geology, oceanography and astronomy. This computer-based exam is composed of 150 multiple-choice questions and administered in a 180 minute testing session. Eighteen percent of these questions are about the nature of science. Complete the activities of this chapter to prepare for questions in this domain about the processes of scientific inquiry.
1. What is Scientific Investigation? - Definition, Steps & Examples
Scientific investigation is the way in which scientists and researchers use a systematic approach to answer questions about the world around us. Read on to find out more. A quiz is provided to test your understanding.
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Using Appropriate Tools for Scientific Tests & Data Collection
A properly run experiment depends on using the right tools, both for data collection and analysis. In the end, it will save you time, money and frustration to spend some time planning out which tools are most appropriate for your work.
4. Sampling Techniques In Scientific Investigations
We can learn a lot by gathering information from a small subset of a larger group. By sampling this smaller group, scientists can save time and money while still gaining a good understanding of the population as a whole.
5. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
6. Variables & Controls in a Science Experiment
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how science experiments are conducted; what variables, controlled variables, and controls are: and why these things are important. A short quiz will follow.
7. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
8. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
9. Evaluating Data: Precision, Accuracy & Error
The data you present as a scientist need to be as accurate, precise and error-free as possible. In this lesson, we'll discuss what each of these terms means, as well as how error is introduced into measurements and other data collection.
10. Organizing & Reporting Experimental Results
This lesson discusses how to present experimental results in a scientific paper, and includes writing style, why it is important to be selective in reporting data, and when to use text, tables, and figures.
11. Maps, Models & Geospatial Technologies in Scientific Research
Learn about how geospatial technologies are used in scientific research to figure out how phenomena vary across space. We will look at maps, models, and other geospatial technologies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Earth & Space Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Notation & Measurements
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Modern Scientific Theories
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Interdisciplinary Science
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Historical Geology
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Theory of Evolution
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Volcanoes
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Materials
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Natural Resources
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Oceans
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weather
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Climate & Climate Change
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Galaxies
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Sun & Other Stars
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Solar System
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Earth & Moon
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Earth & Space Science Flashcards