About This Chapter
OAE Earth and Space Science: Weather - Chapter Summary
When you watch this chapter's online video lessons, you can further explore the distinction between weather and climate as well as learn more about the factors that influence the weather. The lessons can refresh your memory of the different kinds of clouds and remind you of how thunderstorms develop. Before you take the OAE Earth and Space Science examination, watch these videos in order to:
- Examine the effects of long-term climates and short-term weather
- Learn more about weather variables, air masses and weather fronts
- Understand the process of cloud formation and precipitation
- Define thunderstorms and explore their characteristics
- Detail the causes of tornadoes, hurricanes and cyclones
- Review ways geography affects te weather
- Discuss the field of meteorology
- Learn about the tools, maps and symbols used in predicting the weather
When you review the weather topics in these online video lessons, you'll enhance your chances of correctly answering related questions on the OAE Earth and Space Science examination. Consisting of engaging weather content, navigational video tags and written transcripts, the video lessons are led by experienced instructors. You may submit your weather questions so they can be answered by experts. A self-assessment quiz is included with each lesson.
OAE Earth and Space Science: Weather Chapter Objectives
The fourth domain of the five-part OAE Earth and Space Science examination is where you could demonstrate your knowledge of topics such as weather systems, climates and wind patterns. This 'Atmosphere, Weather and Climate' domain makes up up to 19% of the entire assessment score.
In order to earn a science teaching endorsement, you must complete 150 multiple-choice questions in 180 minutes or less. The examination is computer based, as is the additional 15-minute tutorial.
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
3. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
4. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
5. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
6. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
7. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
8. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
9. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
10. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
11. How Geography Affects the Weather
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain how geography affects the weather, including physical geography and human geography. A short quiz will follow.
12. The Scientific Field of Meteorology
Thanks to meteorologists, we can plan for both short- and long-term weather events that affect our daily lives. But meteorology has been around a lot longer than the daily news, and this scientific field helps us better understand the world around us in a many ways.
13. Predicting the Weather: Tools, Maps & Symbols
How do weather forecasters predict the weather? What tools are used? When you look at a weather map, what do all the symbols mean? Learn about predicting and mapping the weather in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Earth & Space Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Research & Society
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Notation & Measurements
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Modern Scientific Theories
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Interdisciplinary Science
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Historical Geology
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Theory of Evolution
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Volcanoes
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Materials
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Natural Resources
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Hydrologic Cycle
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Oceans
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Climate & Climate Change
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Galaxies
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Sun & Other Stars
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Solar System
- OAE Earth & Space Science: The Earth & Moon
- OAE Earth & Space Science: Astronomy
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Earth & Space Science Flashcards