About This Chapter
OAE Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate - Chapter Summary
This chapter of the comprehensive study guide examines the relationship between our climate and atmosphere in detail. It will help you recall the important parts of the atmosphere, its structure, and its circulation. You can also examine the relationship between our atmosphere, our climate, and global warming. By the end of the chapter, you will have reviewed:
- The main parts of the atmosphere
- The circulation and structure of the atmosphere
- How clouds form and how precipitation forms
- The relationship between temperature, clouds, humidity, and wind
- Types of climate
- The definition of air lift
- Global warming and the ozone layer
- The ocean and our climate
Our instructors make every lesson fun and interesting. The video format lets you review important concepts with ease. We also have a series of questions that resemble what you will encounter on the exam, giving you all the practice you need.
Objectives of the OAE Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate Chapter
The Atmosphere and Climate chapter connects to the earth and space science section of the OAE Integrated Science exam. The exam has three other sections: physical science, life science, and the nature of science. The Earth and space science section contains 19% of the 150 multiple-choice questions. The computer-based OAE Integrated Science exam is only 180 minutes long. By reviewing this chapter of our study guide, you will gain familiarity with the test's various question types and better budget the small amount of time you have for each question.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
4. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
5. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
6. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
7. Air Lift: Definition & Processes
In this video lesson, you will learn about air lift. You will also identify the different ways air is lifted, as well as some of the effects each mechanism has.
8. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
9. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
10. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
11. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
12. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Integrated Science (024): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry
- OAE - Integrated Science: Principles of Scientific Research
- OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment
- OAE - Integrated Science: Historical Developments & Theories
- OAE - Integrated Science: Science & Society
- OAE - Integrated Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Properties & Bonds
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Changes in Matter
- OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics
- OAE - Integrated Science: Force & Motion
- OAE - Integrated Science: Work, Power & Energy
- OAE - Integrated Science: Waves, Light & Sound
- OAE - Integrated Science: Electricity
- OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism
- OAE - Integrated Science: Cell Structure & Function
- OAE - Integrated Science: Biomolecules & Enzymes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Organism Classification & Processes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Body Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Ecological Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Cycling & Human Activities
- OAE - Integrated Science: Physical Geology & Earth's History
- OAE - Integrated Science: Rocks, Minerals & Topography
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Hydrosphere
- OAE - Integrated Science: Weather
- OAE - Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Solar System
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Integrated Science Flashcards