About This Chapter
OAE Integrated Science: Electricity - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers the formal definition of electricity and discusses the ways in which scientists quantify and measure it mathematically. It also explores different theories that predict the behavior of electricity in different settings. Go through the chapter's lessons before you take the OAE Integrated Science exam. By the end of the chapter, you will have reviewed:
- Electric charges and forces
- Electric fields
- Coulomb's Law
- Electric potential
- Insulators and conductors
- Electrical current and resistance
- Ohm's Law
- Electric currents fundamental
By taking our quizzes and watching our video lessons, you will gain helpful familiarity with topics you may find on your upcoming exam. The lessons can be studied at your leisure via a tablet, smartphone or laptop computer.
OAE Integrated Science: Electricity Chapter Objectives
The OAE Integrated Science exam evaluates your knowledge of information across four main domains: earth and space science, physical science, life science, and the nature of science. This chapter is part of the physical science content domain, the largest section of your exam. About 37% of the 150 multiple-choice questions will come from it. The test lasts 3 hours and it is computer based. You should make sure to use our practice quizzes to learn to budget your time effectively.
1. Electric Charge and Force: Definition, Repulsion & Attraction
Have you ever wondered what electricity is and where it comes from? Have you ever been zapped by static electricity and wondered how it got there? We'll answer all of these questions in this lesson on electric charge and force!
2. Electric Force Fields and the Significance of Arrow Direction & Spacing
Did you know that force fields don't just exist in science fiction movies? In this lesson, we'll explore the electric force fields that surround charged particles and how we can draw diagrams that represent them.
3. Coulomb's Law: Variables Affecting the Force Between Two Charged Particles
In the 18th century, Charles Coulomb uncovered the secrets of electrostatic force between charged particles. The results of his experiments led to what is now known as Coulomb's Law, which tells us how force, charge, and distance are all related.
4. Electric Potential: Charge Collections and Volt Unit
In this lesson, we'll find out that electric charges can be rather lazy until something motivates them to get work done. Find out what gives electric charges the potential to do work and how we measure that potential with something called voltage.
5. Insulators and Conductors: Examples, Definitions & Qualities
In this lesson, we'll explore the reasons that some materials conduct electrical energy with ease while others block it almost completely. We'll also talk about the property of conductivity and some everyday examples of insulators and conductors.
6. What is Electric Current? - Definition, Unit & Types
Like a river current is the flow of water molecules, electrical current is the flow of charged particles. In this lesson, we're going to explore what electrical current is, what causes it, and that, unlike a water current, electrical current doesn't always flow in one direction.
7. Electrical Resistance: Definition, Unit & Variables
We'll take a shopping trip to the mall to learn how electrical resistance works and how it is affected by resistivity, conductor dimensions, and temperature. We'll also take a look at several common appliances that take advantage of resistance to function.
8. Ohm's Law: Definition & Relationship Between Voltage, Current & Resistance
Did you know that electrical current is affected by the voltage and resistance in a circuit? In this lesson, we'll use Ohm's law, which tells us how current, voltage, and resistance are related, as we work through several electric circuit examples.
9. Electric Circuit Fundamentals: Components & Types
Electric circuits can be configured to power several loads, such as light bulbs, in series or in parallel. In this lesson, we'll look at both types of circuits and see how the voltage, current, and resistance are affected by installing additional loads.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Integrated Science (024): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry
- OAE - Integrated Science: Principles of Scientific Research
- OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment
- OAE - Integrated Science: Historical Developments & Theories
- OAE - Integrated Science: Science & Society
- OAE - Integrated Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Properties & Bonds
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Changes in Matter
- OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics
- OAE - Integrated Science: Force & Motion
- OAE - Integrated Science: Work, Power & Energy
- OAE - Integrated Science: Waves, Light & Sound
- OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism
- OAE - Integrated Science: Cell Structure & Function
- OAE - Integrated Science: Biomolecules & Enzymes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Organism Classification & Processes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Body Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Ecological Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Cycling & Human Activities
- OAE - Integrated Science: Physical Geology & Earth's History
- OAE - Integrated Science: Rocks, Minerals & Topography
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Hydrosphere
- OAE - Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate
- OAE - Integrated Science: Weather
- OAE - Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Solar System
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Integrated Science Flashcards