About This Chapter
OAE Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe - Chapter Summary
This chapter will review the different parts of the known universe. It will provide textbook definitions of solar systems and galaxies, and it will then provide a brief overview of the development of the universe. The chapter will explore giant and dwarf stars as well as the formation of the Milky Way galaxy. The lessons will help you review and master:
- The differences between solar systems, universes and galaxies
- The beginnings of the universe
- Evidence for the Big Bang Theory
- How galaxies form
- The formation of our solar system
- Types of stars and their formation
- The life cycle of a star
The lessons start with the largest unit of space, the universe, and slowly zoom into the smaller parts. This will help you intuitively organize your existing knowledge. The lessons also have short comprehension checks that echo the format of the OAE exam.
OAE Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe Chapter Objectives
The OAE Integrated Science exam has 150 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 180 minutes. The test is computer-based. The exam covers four domains of scientific knowledge: the nature of science, Earth and space science, life science, and physical science. This chapter is part of the Earth and space science domain, which is the equivalent of 19% of the exam.
1. Solar System, Galaxy, & Universe: Definitions & Difference
Want to learn what the universe, galaxy, and solar system are as well as some cool facts about each one? This lesson will give you an overview of what these three things are in a relatable fashion.
2. Origins of the Universe: The Big Bang and Expanding & Contracting Universes
Students will learn the origins of the universe, the Big Bang theory, the timeline of the universe, how the universe is still expanding to this day, and what astronomers expect the universe to look like in the future.
3. Evidence for the Big Bang Theory: Background Radiation, Red-Shift and Expansion
Discover what evidence exists to support the Big Bang theory of the birth of the universe. Learn how cosmic background radiation, the red shift of light and the ongoing expansion of the universe led scientists to believe that the universe was started with the Big Bang.
4. Galaxy Formation: Spiral, Elliptical & Irregular Galaxies
This lesson explains how galaxies form, starting with the Big Bang. You'll also learn about the solar nebula hypothesis and three galaxy types, including spiral, elliptical, and irregular galaxies.
5. The Formation of the Milky Way Galaxy
This lesson will explore two hypotheses as to how the Milky Way galaxy formed. These are the top-down and bottom-up hypotheses. We'll also go into what special connection you personally have to all of this.
6. The Solar Nebula Theory: Formation of the Solar System
This lesson will go over the theory that explains how the solar system formed, what theory had once competed with it, and what important implication this theory carries.
7. Star Formation: Main Sequence, Dwarf & Giant Stars
Learn how stars are born, beginning with a protostar. Then learn about stars in later stages of life, including main sequence stars, brown dwarfs, red giants, and black holes.
8. Types of Stars by Size, Color and Life Cycle
Learn to identify the different sizes and colors of stars and how they relate to the star life cycle. In this lesson, we'll talk about spectral classification, how many stars there are of each type and the approximate color of the different classes of stars.
9. Supernova and Supergiant Star Life Cycle
Learn about one of the biggest explosions known to humankind - a supernova. Follow a star's life cycle and learn how a star changes from a red giant to a supernova to a black hole or neutron star.
10. Life Cycle of Neutron Stars
Discover the life of a neutron star, including how it's born after a supernova explosion and how its extreme pressure causes protons and electrons to combine into neutrons. Discover also how pulsars are rotating neutron stars that will eventually slow down to become regular neutron stars.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Integrated Science (024): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry
- OAE - Integrated Science: Principles of Scientific Research
- OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment
- OAE - Integrated Science: Historical Developments & Theories
- OAE - Integrated Science: Science & Society
- OAE - Integrated Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Properties & Bonds
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Changes in Matter
- OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics
- OAE - Integrated Science: Force & Motion
- OAE - Integrated Science: Work, Power & Energy
- OAE - Integrated Science: Waves, Light & Sound
- OAE - Integrated Science: Electricity
- OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism
- OAE - Integrated Science: Cell Structure & Function
- OAE - Integrated Science: Biomolecules & Enzymes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Organism Classification & Processes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Body Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Ecological Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Cycling & Human Activities
- OAE - Integrated Science: Physical Geology & Earth's History
- OAE - Integrated Science: Rocks, Minerals & Topography
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Hydrosphere
- OAE - Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate
- OAE - Integrated Science: Weather
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Solar System
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Integrated Science Flashcards