About This Chapter
OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a thorough review of magnetism, including formal definitions of magnets, magnetic forces, and magnetic fields. The chapter will then move towards exploring electromagnetism and its various applications. By the end of the chapter you will have strengthened your knowledge about:
- The definition of magnets
- The definition of magnetic forces
- The definition of magnetic fields
- The creation of magnetic fields
- Electromagnetic induction and its applications
By taking the quizzes at the end of each lesson, you will expose yourself to the types of questions you will face on your OAE Integrated Science exam. The timelines that accompany each video lesson make it easy to local specific topics that require extra review.
Objectives of the OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism Chapter
The OAE Integrated Science exam is 3 hours long and has 150 multiple-choice questions. It is a computer-based test. This chapter relates to the largest of the four domains in the OAE Integrated Science exam: physical science, which contains 37% of the total questions. Our lessons, quizzes and other study aids can help you prepare for these types of questions.
1. What is a Magnet? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what a magnet is and how it works at the atomic level. You'll also see how the earth's magnetic field works. A short quiz will follow.
2. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
3. What is a Magnetic Field?
Magnetic fields fill the space around all magnets, but they're impossible to detect with our own senses. We'll use a common tool to map out a magnetic field and then discuss ferromagnetic materials to see how a magnetic field can be used to create new magnets.
4. How Magnetic Fields Are Created
Have you ever wondered how magnetic fields are created? In this lesson, we'll discuss the very simple answer to this question and look at how electric current can be used to make electromagnets, which have many everyday applications.
5. How Magnetic Forces Affect Moving Charges
A magnetic field exerts a force on a moving charged particle in ways that you might not expect. In this lesson, we're going to look at the direction of this force and the factors that affect its strength.
6. Electromagnetic Induction: Definition & Variables that Affect Induction
We use electromagnetic induction every day, but do you have any idea what it is? In this lesson, we'll discuss this everyday phenomenon, the factors that affect its strength and its most common applications.
7. Electromagnetic Induction: Conductor to Conductor & Transformers
Every day, we make use of a special case of electromagnetic induction known as mutual induction. In this lesson, we'll talk about this special phenomenon and how it is used in many common devices.
8. Technological Applications of Electromagnetism
What is electromagnetism? And how do we use it in the world? Electromagnetism has a huge number of technological applications that range from fun to life-saving. Learn about a few of them, and see what you remember by taking a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Integrated Science (024): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry
- OAE - Integrated Science: Principles of Scientific Research
- OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment
- OAE - Integrated Science: Historical Developments & Theories
- OAE - Integrated Science: Science & Society
- OAE - Integrated Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Properties & Bonds
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Changes in Matter
- OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics
- OAE - Integrated Science: Force & Motion
- OAE - Integrated Science: Work, Power & Energy
- OAE - Integrated Science: Waves, Light & Sound
- OAE - Integrated Science: Electricity
- OAE - Integrated Science: Cell Structure & Function
- OAE - Integrated Science: Biomolecules & Enzymes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Organism Classification & Processes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Body Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Ecological Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Cycling & Human Activities
- OAE - Integrated Science: Physical Geology & Earth's History
- OAE - Integrated Science: Rocks, Minerals & Topography
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Hydrosphere
- OAE - Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate
- OAE - Integrated Science: Weather
- OAE - Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Solar System
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Integrated Science Flashcards