About This Chapter
OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment - Chapter Summary
This chapter helps you review the different ways to conduct scientific research. It also examines common equipment found in a science lab and its effective and safe use. By the end of the chapter, you will have shored up your knowledge on:
- Standard scientific tools and how they are used
- Basic safety practices in the lab
- Storing and using chemicals safely
- Different ways to dispose of hazardous materials
- The debate on hazardous waste disposal
By taking the short comprehension quizzes that accompany the lessons, you can get an idea of the types of questions you may see on the exam. If you have any questions about the material, you can reach out to our instructors for assistance.
OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment - Chapter Objectives
If you want to become a science teacher for adolescent children in Ohio, you must take the OAE - Integrated Science exam. This research methods and equipment chapter prepares you for a specific competency in the exam's Nature of Science domain: the procedures of scientific inquiry. This competency requires you to answer questions about safety, materials, and scientific data.
The Nature of Science content domain makes up 19% of the test's 150 multiple-choice questions. This computer-based test gives you three hours to answer all 150 questions.
1. Scientific Tools and Their Uses
Scientific tools aid in making observations, doing experiments, and taking measurements. Explore the tools used for measuring, experiments, and observation and discover the purpose of each.
2. Standard Laboratory Safety Equipment
Safety is a top priority in laboratories, which must remain stocked with the current, effective, and mandated equipment to keep scientists and others free from harm. Learn about the importance of frequently inspected safety equipment that is easily accessible, and types of needed equipment like fire extinguishers, ventilation hoods, and eye washing stations.
3. Laboratory Safety Techniques: Protecting People and Equipment
Laboratory safety techniques include personal body protection, proper use of containers and substances, protocol for accidents and spills, clean up, and common sense. Explore these techniques for protecting people and equipment while in a laboratory.
4. Personal Safety Equipment for the Science Lab
Personal safety is paramount to a productive laboratory environment, including the equipment and safety measures required. Learn the basics of hand, eye, and face protection, and what caution to take with ears, feet, and airways as well.
5. Safe Chemical Storage, Use & Disposal
Safe chemical storage, use, and disposal is key to lab safety. Proper procedures and protocols for using chemicals in the lab are necessary. Explore how to safely use chemicals and how to correctly store and dispose of them.
6. Disposing of Hazardous Materials: Public Safety & Controversy
Society must consider the ways in which it disposes of hazardous materials, or materials which may adversely affect public safety. Learn more about hazardous materials and disposing of hazardous materials, and understand how reducing, reusing, and recycling apply to hazardous materials and their disposal.
7. Working with Biological Specimens Safely in the Lab
Biological specimens can help us learn more about diseases, other animals, and even ourselves by studying tissues, fluids and organisms in lab work. Learn more about working with biological specimens safely in lab environments, including safe handling and disposal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Integrated Science (024): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the OAE Tests
- OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry
- OAE - Integrated Science: Principles of Scientific Research
- OAE - Integrated Science: Historical Developments & Theories
- OAE - Integrated Science: Science & Society
- OAE - Integrated Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Properties & Bonds
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Changes in Matter
- OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics
- OAE - Integrated Science: Force & Motion
- OAE - Integrated Science: Work, Power & Energy
- OAE - Integrated Science: Waves, Light & Sound
- OAE - Integrated Science: Electricity
- OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism
- OAE - Integrated Science: Cell Structure & Function
- OAE - Integrated Science: Biomolecules & Enzymes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Organism Classification & Processes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Body Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Ecological Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Cycling & Human Activities
- OAE - Integrated Science: Physical Geology & Earth's History
- OAE - Integrated Science: Rocks, Minerals & Topography
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Hydrosphere
- OAE - Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate
- OAE - Integrated Science: Weather
- OAE - Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Solar System
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Integrated Science Flashcards