About This Chapter
OAE Integrated Science: Science & Society - Chapter Summary
This chapter reviews the various ways in which science interacts with our larger society. It explores the social and ethical issues that different scientific developments have created. It also explores the representation of scientific research by the media. By the end of the chapter, you will have strengthened your memory of:
- The many relationships between society, technology, math, and biology
- Media coverage of science
- Issues related to scientific development
At the end of each engaging lesson, you can take questions to check your comprehension. These questions are similar to the ones you will find on the OAE Integrated Science exam. The similarly formatted questions will help you learn test-taking strategies and practice budgeting your time.
Objectives of the OAE Integrated Science: Science & Society Chapter
The computer-based OAE Integrated Science exam assesses your knowledge on four different domains: Earth science, life science, physical science, and the nature of science. Each domain has a number of different subtopics, referred to as competencies. This chapter, Science & Society, relates to the nature of science domain. Ninteeen percent of the 150 multiple-choice questions in the 3-hour exam are from this domain.
The nature of science domain is divided into 3 competency areas. The last of these seeks to test your knowledge of the relationships between science and the many different aspects of society. This chapter helps you refresh your memory on that tested information.
1. Similarities Among Systems in Mathematics, Science & Technology
How do the concepts of balance and equilibrium extend throughout science and mathematics? How does solving algebraic equations parallel chemical equilibrium within a solution? See how crucial balance is in our universe as well as how mathematics is used to describe these constant equilibriums.
2. Science in the Mass Media
Learn about the importance of the mass media to communicate scientific discoveries and the many issues with how that communication happens. See how well you understand by taking a quiz.
3. The Advance of Science & Technology Since 1945: Developments & Impact
In this lesson, we explore just a few of the numerous advances and innovations made in the worlds of sciences and technology, from automobiles and televisions to computers and phones that can fit in the palm of your hand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Integrated Science (024): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry
- OAE - Integrated Science: Principles of Scientific Research
- OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment
- OAE - Integrated Science: Historical Developments & Theories
- OAE - Integrated Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Properties & Bonds
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Changes in Matter
- OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics
- OAE - Integrated Science: Force & Motion
- OAE - Integrated Science: Work, Power & Energy
- OAE - Integrated Science: Waves, Light & Sound
- OAE - Integrated Science: Electricity
- OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism
- OAE - Integrated Science: Cell Structure & Function
- OAE - Integrated Science: Biomolecules & Enzymes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Organism Classification & Processes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Body Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Ecological Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Cycling & Human Activities
- OAE - Integrated Science: Physical Geology & Earth's History
- OAE - Integrated Science: Rocks, Minerals & Topography
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Hydrosphere
- OAE - Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate
- OAE - Integrated Science: Weather
- OAE - Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Solar System
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Integrated Science Flashcards