About This Chapter
OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry - Chapter Summary
This Scientific Thought and Inquiry chapter of our study guide discusses the foundations of scientific inquiry. It examines the scientific method and the required elements of scientific research. It also looks at the key characteristics of valid results, research variables, and more. By the end of the chapter, you will have reviewed:
- Inductive versus deductive reasoning
- The difference between scientific law and scientific theory
- The nature of science
- Researcher variables that can impact validity
At the end of each chapter, you can take a quiz based with questions in the same format as your upcoming exam. By familiarizing yourself with the question types of the OAE Integrated Science exam, you can increase your chances for a passing score.
OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry - Chapter Objectives
Potential science educators in the state of Ohio must take the OAE Integrated Science exam. This chapter connects to the nature of science domain on the exam. The exam also features three other domains: physical science, earth science, and life science. The nature of science domain makes up about 19% of the 150 multiple-choice questions. The exam is computer based, and you will have three hours to answer all the questions.
1. The Nature of Science
This lesson will explore the basic nature of science. It will distinguish science from pseudoscience and hypothesis from theory and natural law; it will give plenty of examples of each.
2. What is Scientific Investigation? - Definition, Steps & Examples
Scientific investigation is the way in which scientists and researchers use a systematic approach to answer questions about the world around us. Read on to find out more. A quiz is provided to test your understanding.
3. What is the Scientific Theory? - Definition, Characteristics & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition and characteristics of a scientific theory and understand how theories are formulated. You'll see examples of scientific theories, and after the lesson you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. What is a Scientific Law? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about scientific laws. The topic will be defined for you and several types of scientific laws will be described. Finally, examples of scientific laws and theories will be provided to assist you with learning the difference between the two terms.
5. Researcher Variables that Affect Internal Validity
Scientists want only the independent variable to affect the outcome of their studies, but sometimes it is the things they do themselves that change the outcome. We'll look at three common researcher-related variables: researcher bias, selection bias, and researcher personality in this lesson.
6. Inductive vs. Deductive Reasoning: Differences & Examples
This lesson explores the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning in the form of psychological experiments. In addition to defining these terms, the lesson gives examples to explain how this reasoning is applied.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Integrated Science (024): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Integrated Science: Principles of Scientific Research
- OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment
- OAE - Integrated Science: Historical Developments & Theories
- OAE - Integrated Science: Science & Society
- OAE - Integrated Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Properties & Bonds
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Changes in Matter
- OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics
- OAE - Integrated Science: Force & Motion
- OAE - Integrated Science: Work, Power & Energy
- OAE - Integrated Science: Waves, Light & Sound
- OAE - Integrated Science: Electricity
- OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism
- OAE - Integrated Science: Cell Structure & Function
- OAE - Integrated Science: Biomolecules & Enzymes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Organism Classification & Processes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Body Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Ecological Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Cycling & Human Activities
- OAE - Integrated Science: Physical Geology & Earth's History
- OAE - Integrated Science: Rocks, Minerals & Topography
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Hydrosphere
- OAE - Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate
- OAE - Integrated Science: Weather
- OAE - Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Solar System
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Integrated Science Flashcards