About This Chapter
OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics - Chapter Summary
This chapter focuses on heat and temperature and their relationships to complex systems. First, the definition of the two will be discussed. Then, the lessons turn to the measurement of the two concepts. Once these basics are reviewed, further lessons examine the idea of thermodynamics. By the end of the chapter, you will have reviewed:
- Definition and measurement of heat and temperature
- The first and second laws of thermodynamics
- Heating curves and phase changes
Each lesson features an accompanying quiz, which is similar in format to the questions on your upcoming exam. The video lessons also come with a full written transcript, which highlights key terms and concepts in bold print.
OAE - Integrated Science: Thermodynamics - Chapter Objectives
The OAE Integrated Science exam is a computer based, 180-minute exam. You'll need to answer 150 multiple-choice questions. The exam tests prospective science teachers on four content areas: earth science, life science, physical science, and the nature of science. This chapter on thermodynamics connects to some of the questions in the physical science section of the test, which makes up about 37% of the total test questions.
1. What is Heat? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of heat and find out how it differs from temperature. You will also explore practical applications of heat such as expansion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, specific heat, phase transitions, and heat engines.
2. What is Temperature? - Definition & Measurement
In the most intuitive terms, temperature refers to how hot or cold something is. Learn more about temperature as a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
3. Calorimetry: Measuring Heat Transfer and Heat Capacity
This video lesson explains the technique of calorimetry used to measure heat transfer in chemical reactions. You will see how different materials have different specific heat capacities. You will learn how to carry out heat calculations using a simple equation.
4. First Law of Thermodynamics: Law of Conservation of Energy
This video describes the first law of thermodynamics. Several examples of the application of this law are discussed. The significance of the law and its practical application are discussed as well.
5. Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy and Systems
In this lesson, we'll learn about the second law of thermodynamics. By studying this law, you'll understand how energy works and why we're all moving towards eventual chaos and disorder.
6. Phase Changes and Heating Curves
Learn the phases - gas, liquid, solid and plasma. Learn what a phase diagram is and what terms describe the movement between phases: melting, sublimating, freezing, vaporization, condensation, and deposition. Discover why heating curves have plateaus, what a phase transition is, and what happens during this transition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Integrated Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Integrated Science: Scientific Thought & Inquiry
- OAE - Integrated Science: Principles of Scientific Research
- OAE - Integrated Science: Research Methods & Equipment
- OAE - Integrated Science: Historical Developments & Theories
- OAE - Integrated Science: Science & Society
- OAE - Integrated Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Properties & Bonds
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Changes in Matter
- OAE - Integrated Science: Force & Motion
- OAE - Integrated Science: Work, Power & Energy
- OAE - Integrated Science: Waves, Light & Sound
- OAE - Integrated Science: Electricity
- OAE - Integrated Science: Magnetism
- OAE - Integrated Science: Cell Structure & Function
- OAE - Integrated Science: Biomolecules & Enzymes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Organism Classification & Processes
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Integrated Science: Human Body Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Ecological Systems
- OAE - Integrated Science: Chemical Cycling & Human Activities
- OAE - Integrated Science: Physical Geology & Earth's History
- OAE - Integrated Science: Rocks, Minerals & Topography
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Hydrosphere
- OAE - Integrated Science: Atmosphere & Climate
- OAE - Integrated Science: Weather
- OAE - Integrated Science: Evolution of the Solar System & Universe
- OAE - Integrated Science: The Solar System