About This Chapter
OAE: Management & Leadership - Chapter Summary
Get reacquainted with management and leadership in preparation for the OAE Marketing test. Upon completion of this chapter, you should be prepared for questions related to these topics:
- The difference between a manager and a leader
- Roles of leaders and leadership orientation
- Leading as a function of management
- Planning, organizing, leading and control as a function of management
- The five principles of total quality management (TQM)
- Supervisory and management skills
- The strategic management process
The instructors have created entertaining video lessons that comprehensively cover management and leadership within marketing. Watching the videos will give you a detailed overview of concepts you may encounter on the OAE Marketing exam, while exciting visual effects can make learning fun.
Objectives of the OAE: Management & Leadership Chapter
The OAE: Management & Leadership chapter examines topics that are covered in the employment, communication and problem-solving skills domain area of the OAE Marketing test; this section constitutes approximately 25% of the total exam. The marketing test is designed to gauge how well you understand marketing concepts to ensure you're ready to obtain your marketing teaching license in Ohio. The lessons in this chapter can help strengthen your knowledge of management and leadership to ensure you're ready to tackle this portion of the exam. Self-assessment quizzes are available to help you prepare for the types of questions you'll see on test day.
The test consists of 100 multiple-choice questions that ask you to examine a short paragraph, sentence or question then choose the best of four answers. Some questions present a table, diagram or graph that you will need to analyze to conceptualize or solve a problem.
1. Management vs. Leadership: The Difference Between a Manager & Leader
Are all managers leaders? Are all leaders managers? This lesson presents arguments that place a manager and a leader into two separate categories, each with their own defining characteristics.
2. Leadership: Leaders & Their Role in Organizations
Leadership is the action of leading employees to achieve goals. It plays an important role in employee performance and productivity. Learn about how leaders influence employee behavior in this lesson.
3. Leadership Orientation: Task-Oriented & People-Oriented
As a leader, are you focused on getting the job done or on making people happy? This lesson will explain the difference between task-oriented leaders and people-oriented leaders to better help you decide.
4. Leading as a Function of Management
This lesson teaches you about leading as a function of management by examining the surprising similarities between two very different leadership scenarios: leadership at war and leadership in the workplace.
5. Four Functions of Management: Planning, Organizing, Leading & Controlling
A person who holds a management position inside an organization is required to think strategically and conceptually in order to achieve organizational goals. This lesson will describe the four functions of management and how they relate to organizational success.
6. Five Principles of Total Quality Management (TQM)
Total quality management (TQM) is achieved and becomes part of the overall organizational culture when the five principles - produce quality work the first time, focus on the customer, have a strategic approach to improvement, improve continuously and encourage mutual respect and teamwork - are practiced by all employees.
7. Supervisory Skills: Types and Importance
Supervising employees or tasks is not a simple matter. Supervisors need a certain set of skills in order to accomplish their jobs efficiently and effectively. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of these core skills. A short quiz follows.
8. Managerial Skills: How Good Managers Promote Productivity
This lesson will discuss the types of skills a manager needs, including technical, human, and conceptual skills. You'll learn how each of these skill sets impacts a manager's ability to effectively lead his or her employees.
9. The Strategic Management Process
We will be reviewing the strategic management process, starting with the four main steps of the process. These steps provide the foundation for understanding strategic management as a whole and will serve you well as you deal with management decision-making situations.
10. Decision Making for Managers: Certainty, Risk & Uncertainty
Making decisions with the most amount of certainty is something managers learn to do over time. In this lesson, we will review how managers work with certainty and risk in order to make informed decisions.
11. Managing a Diverse Workforce in Contemporary Organizations
Diversity is all around us and is a huge part of the business climate today. All companies strive for diversity, so they can have a unique perspective and look at issues through the eyes of their employees. This lesson will address diversity in a global setting.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Marketing (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE: Principles of Marketing
- OAE: Market Research
- OAE: Marketing Strategy
- OAE: Market Segmentation
- OAE: Product Planning in Marketing
- OAE: Pricing Strategies in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing Channels & Distribution
- OAE: Marketing for Consumer Decision Making
- OAE: Sales Strategy in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing & Promotions
- OAE: Promotional Design in Marketing
- OAE: Merchandising & Inventory in Marketing
- OAE: Macroeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Microeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Business Organization
- OAE: Entrepreneurship
- OAE: Finance & Credit
- OAE: Human Resources Management
- OAE: Human Resources & Staffing
- OAE: Business Law for Marketing
- OAE: Business Communication
- OAE: Business Math
- OAE: Business Technology
- OAE: Information Systems
- OAE: Marketing Education
- OAE: Marketing Careers
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Marketing Flashcards