About This Chapter
OAE: Market Segmentation - Chapter Summary
Prepare for your OAE Marketing exam with lessons outlining the strategies used to divide consumers into market segments. Listed below are just some of the marketing terms and concepts covered in this chapter:
- Significance of market segmentation
- Geographic, demographic and psychographic segmentation
- Benefit and usage-rate segmentation
- Steps in market segmentation
- Types of retail segments
- Product positioning and differentiation
When you watch this chapter's video lessons or read the text transcripts, you'll be getting instruction from experts in this field. Plus, their concise yet thorough marketing lessons break up chapter material into short segments that make it easy to fit some study time into your busy schedule.
OAE: Market Segmentation Objectives
The OAE Marketing exam includes 100 multiple-choice questions covering four main content domains. Responses are used to gauge the subject matter expertise of applicants for a marketing career and education teacher license in Ohio. The content of this chapter can be found within the marketing principles domain area; around 22% of exam questions measure your understanding of marketing principles, including the market segmentation topics discussed in this chapter.
1. Market Segmentation: Why Market Segments Are Important to Marketers
Marketing managers must understand the importance of segmenting a market and the specific criteria for successful segmentation. Before the 1960's, most companies tried to market products to the masses with declining success. It is important to identify key target markets!
2. Market Segmentation: Geographic, Demographic, Psychographic & More
Marketers must be effective at creating niche segments to promote and sell their products or services. There are five specific ways that markets can be segmented in order to create a successful sales opportunity.
3. How to Segment Business Markets Step-by-Step
Discover the four segments of business marketing in this lesson. You will also learn the distinguishing characteristics of each segment so you may easily identify each of them.
4. Retail Segments, Target Markets and Marketing Strategies
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify four different retail segments and gain an understanding of how producers of goods and services use different types of retailers to reach the different target markets that buy their products.
5. Positioning and Differentiation in Consumer Marketing
Consumers' perceptions of products and brands are influenced by the marketing and promotional plan. Marketers must identify the key characteristics that are important to the target market and then ensure that their product stands out in the minds of the consumers as the best choice for purchase.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Marketing (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE: Principles of Marketing
- OAE: Market Research
- OAE: Marketing Strategy
- OAE: Product Planning in Marketing
- OAE: Pricing Strategies in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing Channels & Distribution
- OAE: Marketing for Consumer Decision Making
- OAE: Sales Strategy in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing & Promotions
- OAE: Promotional Design in Marketing
- OAE: Merchandising & Inventory in Marketing
- OAE: Macroeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Microeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Business Organization
- OAE: Entrepreneurship
- OAE: Finance & Credit
- OAE: Human Resources Management
- OAE: Human Resources & Staffing
- OAE: Business Law for Marketing
- OAE: Business Communication
- OAE: Business Math
- OAE: Business Technology
- OAE: Information Systems
- OAE: Management & Leadership
- OAE: Marketing Education
- OAE: Marketing Careers
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Marketing Flashcards