About This Chapter
OAE: Marketing Careers - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons to prepare for OAE Marketing test questions designed to gauge your understanding of the job search process. Our experienced instructors can help you take another look at topics including:
- Resume writing
- Cover letter formats
- Job interview skills
- Strategies for evaluating job offers
- Career establishment and maintenance
- Career advancement opportunities
- Networking strategies
- Career mentoring
Our instructors use an approachable teaching style that makes these marketing career topics fun to review. You'll also find visual materials in both the videos and transcripts to help you remember important resume and cover letter components and other topics you'll need to know for test day.
OAE: Marketing Careers - Chapter Objectives
The Ohio Department of Education requires marketing career and technical education teachers to pass this professional knowledge exam in order to qualify for licensure. The OAE Marketing test includes 100 multiple-choice questions that must be answered within 120 minutes; these questions cover four main domain areas within marketing
Questions covering the topics discussed in this chapter can be found in the Employment, Communication and Problem-Solving Skills content domain, which accounts for around 25% of the exam. These questions test your understanding of resume writing, job application and interview skills, in addition to your familiarity with various career stages.
1. Parts of Your Resume: Sections & Relevant Information
An effective resume starts with creating a 3-part summary of your qualifications: work experience, education and personal achievements. Every resume should be tailored specifically to match a job advertisement's requirements.
2. Tailoring the Content of Your Resume for a Job
A job applicant should be knowledgeable of how to tailor the content of their resume for a specific job. A custom, detailed, directed resume offers the best chance of acquiring an interview.
3. The Cover Letter: Importance, Details & Format
The cover letter is a necessity when applying for a job. There is a basic format that you can follow consisting of a salutation, three paragraphs and a close that can be used to get a potential employer's attention.
4. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
5. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
6. Responding to a Job Offer: Evaluating & Negotiating
When a company offers you a job, what do you do next? In this lesson, we will look at what to do after you get a job offer, including how to evaluate the offer to see if it's right for you and how to negotiate for better terms.
7. Career Stages: Establishment, Advancement, Maintenance & Withdrawal
A career stage model explains the four stages that individuals pass through in their careers. The four stages consist of establishment, advancement, maintenance and withdrawal.
8. Types of Opportunities to Grow in Your Career
Everyone wants to move forward in their careers, but how can you do that? In this lesson, we'll look at the two major types of career advancement, internal and external, and how to make the best of both.
9. Networking for Career Success: How to Make Professional Contacts
Having a strong network of business contacts can really help out your career. But how do you build a network? In this lesson, we'll look at ways to make contacts, including tips for networking.
10. How to Find and Relate to a Career Mentor
A mentor can help a person advance in their career and give them advice when they are in difficult situations. Watch this lesson to learn how to find a mentor and how to nurture that relationship over time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Marketing (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE: Principles of Marketing
- OAE: Market Research
- OAE: Marketing Strategy
- OAE: Market Segmentation
- OAE: Product Planning in Marketing
- OAE: Pricing Strategies in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing Channels & Distribution
- OAE: Marketing for Consumer Decision Making
- OAE: Sales Strategy in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing & Promotions
- OAE: Promotional Design in Marketing
- OAE: Merchandising & Inventory in Marketing
- OAE: Macroeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Microeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Business Organization
- OAE: Entrepreneurship
- OAE: Finance & Credit
- OAE: Human Resources Management
- OAE: Human Resources & Staffing
- OAE: Business Law for Marketing
- OAE: Business Communication
- OAE: Business Math
- OAE: Business Technology
- OAE: Information Systems
- OAE: Management & Leadership
- OAE: Marketing Education
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Marketing Flashcards