About This Chapter
OAE: Marketing Channels & Distribution - Chapter Summary
Review considerations for selecting the right distribution channels for a particular product or service with this OAE Marketing test-prep chapter. Our video lessons and quizzes can get you ready for questions on topics including:
- Functions of marketing channels
- Channel intermediaries
- Marketing utilities
- Wholesale intermediaries
- Retail distribution strategies
- Non-store retailing
- Channel conflict and cooperation
- Service and physical distribution
- Supply chain management
Whether you need a quick refresher on topics like central place theory or could use a comprehensive review of distribution channels and intermediaries, you've come to the right place. Our self-paced course format lets you choose which lessons to watch.
OAE: Marketing Channels & Distribution Objectives
The Ohio Department of Education uses the 100 multiple-choice questions included on the OAE Marketing exam to evaluate the subject area knowledge of applicants for a marketing career and technical education teaching license. The test includes content from four domain areas within marketing.
Exam topics addressed in this chapter include variables affecting distribution decisions, characteristics of various distribution channels, and the purposes of retailers and wholesalers. Questions on these topics can be found in the marketing principles content domain, which makes up around 22% of the exam.
1. Marketing Channel: Definition and Function in the Marketplace
In this lesson, we'll learn about the marketing channel, which allows producers to deliver their product to consumers in the correct quantity, type and location. Without help from additional channel members, most companies would not be able to increase their target market reach and satisfy their customer needs.
2. Channel Intermediaries: Definition and Function in Business
Marketing managers must have an effective physical distribution strategy, and companies must be able to deliver their products to the consumer. Most managers utilize channel intermediaries to help with transactional, logistical and facilitating functions. Learn more about this process here.
3. Marketing Utilities Performed by Intermediaries
Manufacturers need to get their products to consumers, and they do this through the marketing process and with the help of intermediaries. In this lesson, you'll learn about six marketing utilities that are performed by intermediaries.
4. Types of Wholesale Intermediaries
One of the challenges facing many manufacturers of consumer products is getting products in front of consumers. In this lesson, you'll learn about types of wholesale intermediaries and the roles they play in the product distribution process.
5. Retail Distribution Strategies
Retailers, such as department stores, discount stores and boutiques, sell most consumer products. In this lesson, you'll learn about different retail distribution strategies that manufacturers employ to get their products in front of consumers.
6. Non-Store Retailing: Types, Trends & Examples
Most individual consumers purchase products through retailers. Physical 'brick and mortar' stores are not the only type of retailing in the marketplace. In this lesson, you'll learn about retailing beyond traditional retail stores.
7. Channel Conflict: Horizontal & Vertical Conflict
A marketing logistics plan can have channel conflict. This occurs when channel members do not agree with pricing, distribution or even logistical operations. The channel member's ultimate goal is to create a comprehensive channel partnership to eliminate any conflict and drive product efficiently to consumers.
8. Systems That Influence Cooperation in the Supply Channel
The supply chain is an interconnected group of players involved in taking a product from concept to the consumer's hands. Cooperation between parties as they interface is necessary to provide customer satisfaction.
9. Service Distribution: Central Place Theory & Market-Area Analysis
This lesson seeks to explain the central place theory and market area analysis. In doing this, we will highlight range, threshold, competition, and transportation.
10. Supply Chain Management: Technology, Measurement, Relationship & Material Integration
Marketing managers realize how distribution can be costly if there is not an efficient plan in place. Supply chain management is a strategy that allows seamless integration of all pieces of the distribution chain.
11. Logistics of Goods and Services
Logistics management is essential for the proper functioning of a supply chain and for successfully serving customers. In this lesson, you'll learn about the role of logistics in supply chain management and how intermediaries can be used in the process.
12. Physical Distribution in Marketing: Definition, Functions & Importance
In this lesson, we'll be looking at physical distribution and the movement of finished goods from production to consumer. We will explore the functions of physical distribution and its importance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Marketing (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE: Principles of Marketing
- OAE: Market Research
- OAE: Marketing Strategy
- OAE: Market Segmentation
- OAE: Product Planning in Marketing
- OAE: Pricing Strategies in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing for Consumer Decision Making
- OAE: Sales Strategy in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing & Promotions
- OAE: Promotional Design in Marketing
- OAE: Merchandising & Inventory in Marketing
- OAE: Macroeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Microeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Business Organization
- OAE: Entrepreneurship
- OAE: Finance & Credit
- OAE: Human Resources Management
- OAE: Human Resources & Staffing
- OAE: Business Law for Marketing
- OAE: Business Communication
- OAE: Business Math
- OAE: Business Technology
- OAE: Information Systems
- OAE: Management & Leadership
- OAE: Marketing Education
- OAE: Marketing Careers
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Marketing Flashcards