About This Chapter
OAE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals - Chapter Summary
This chapter explores graphs of functions and the properties of the areas underneath the curve and integrals. We'll help you review these properties through graphs and mathematical notation. The chapter also reviews the definition of integrals and its relation to the area under a curve. At the end of the chapter, the relationship between derivatives and integrals will be reviewed. After you complete this chapter, you will have studied:
- Riemann sums
- Limits of Riemann sums
- Definite integrals, their linear properties, and their relationship to Riemann sums
- Average value theorem
- The fundamental theorem of calculus
- Indefinite integrals and anti-derivatives
Our video lessons are quick and convenient ways to review the important concepts on your upcoming exam. Each video lesson has a series of questions attached. These questions are modeled on the upcoming exam and can help you gain familiarity with the question types you will encounter.
Objectives of the OAE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals Chapter
Ohio has structured its OAE mathematics exam to test information across five domains. This chapter links to the trigonometry and calculus section. There are a total of 150 multiple-choice questions on the exam and 19% of the questions come from this section. The test is only 225 minutes long and it is also computer based.
1. How to Use Riemann Sums for Functions and Graphs
Find out how Riemann sums can be used to calculate multiple areas efficiently. In this lesson, you'll learn how this can come in handy for irregular areas and how you can put it to use.
2. How to Find the Limits of Riemann Sums
What would happen if you could draw an infinite number of infinitesimally thin rectangles? You'd get the exact area under a curve! Define the Holy Grail of calculus, the integral, in this lesson.
3. Definite Integrals: Definition
Explore how driving backwards takes you where you've already been as we define definite integrals. This lesson will also teach you the relationship between definite integrals and Riemann sums. Then, discover how an integral changes when it is above and below the x-axis.
4. How to Use Riemann Sums to Calculate Integrals
As a new property owner, you might relish mowing your lawn. Up and down your property you mow and measure out small sections to find the area of your property. In this lesson, you will discover what a Riemann sum approach is and how to calculate an estimated area using multiple slices.
5. Linear Properties of Definite Integrals
If you're having integration problems, this lesson will relate integrals to everyday driving examples. We'll review a few linear properties of definite integrals while practicing with some problems.
6. Average Value Theorem
If you know you've gone 120 miles in 2 hours, you're averaging 60 mph. But what if you know your velocity at every point in time and not how far you've gone? In this lesson, learn how to calculate average values using integrals.
7. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
The fundamental theorem of calculus is one of the most important equations in math. In this lesson we start to explore what the ubiquitous FTOC means as we careen down the road at 30 mph.
8. Indefinite Integrals as Anti Derivatives
What does an anti-derivative have to do with a derivative? Is a definite integral a self-confident version of an indefinite integral? Learn how to define these in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Mathematics (027): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Fractions
- OAE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- OAE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- OAE Mathematics: Units of Measure & Conversion
- OAE Mathematics: Logic
- OAE Mathematics: Reasoning
- OAE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- OAE Mathematics: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- OAE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Inequalities
- OAE Mathematics: Absolute Value
- OAE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Polynomials
- OAE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Piecewise Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuity of a Function
- OAE Mathematics: Limits
- OAE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- OAE Mathematics: Derivative Rules
- OAE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Integration Techniques
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Integration
- OAE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Figures
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- OAE Mathematics: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- OAE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- OAE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- OAE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- OAE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- OAE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- OAE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- OAE Mathematics: Set Theory
- OAE Mathematics: Statistics Overview
- OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- OAE Mathematics: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Probability
- OAE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Sampling
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Mathematics Flashcards