About This Chapter
OAE Mathematics: Linear Equations - Chapter Summary
Work through each lesson to find the best methods for solving linear equation problems on the OAE Math assessment. This chapter contains detailed information on these topics:
- Finding the slope & intercept of lines
- Graphing linear equations
- Point-slope formula
- Addition & multiplication principles
- Infinite & no solution equations
- Using multiple steps in problem solving
- Collecting like terms
Math instructors demonstrate and work through each concept to make sure you fully understand each section. The video lessons are designed to create a unique learning experience which makes traditional subjects entertaining and engaging as you study and review.
Objectives of the OAE Mathematics: Linear Equations Chapter
The OAE Mathematics exam is offered to educators seeking licensing in the academic area of mathematics. This exam has been divided into different mathematical sections, each containing specific questions relating to the overall section topic. The questions on linear equations will be found in the section on patterns, algebra and functions, which makes up approximately 24% of the overall assessment score. You can assess yourself on these types of questions using the multiple-choice quizzes included in every lesson.
The actual test is comprised solely of 150 multiple-choice questions and will take approximately four hours and 15 minutes to complete. In addition, there is a 15 minute testing tutorial that will provide an overview of the examination process.
1. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
2. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
3. How to Find and Apply the Intercepts of a Line
How can you take an equation of a line and find out where it will cross the x- or y-axis? In this lesson, we'll define x-intercepts and y-intercepts and learn how to find them.
4. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
5. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
6. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
7. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
8. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
9. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
10. Solving Equations with Infinite Solutions or No Solutions
In algebra, there are two scenarios that give us interesting results. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can distinguish problems that have no answers and problems that have an infinite number of answers.
11. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Mathematics (027): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Fractions
- OAE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- OAE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- OAE Mathematics: Units of Measure & Conversion
- OAE Mathematics: Logic
- OAE Mathematics: Reasoning
- OAE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- OAE Mathematics: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- OAE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Inequalities
- OAE Mathematics: Absolute Value
- OAE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Polynomials
- OAE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Piecewise Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuity of a Function
- OAE Mathematics: Limits
- OAE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- OAE Mathematics: Derivative Rules
- OAE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- OAE Mathematics: Integration Techniques
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Integration
- OAE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Figures
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- OAE Mathematics: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- OAE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- OAE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- OAE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- OAE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- OAE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- OAE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- OAE Mathematics: Set Theory
- OAE Mathematics: Statistics Overview
- OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- OAE Mathematics: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Probability
- OAE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Sampling
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Mathematics Flashcards