About This Chapter
OAE Mathematics: Parallel Lines and Polygons - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter can help you map out strategies for using parallel lines as well as different kinds of polygons. Look to the lessons for help with outlining the differences between regular and irregular polygons as you prepare to take the OAE Mathematics examination. Consult this chapter's video lessons to review:
- Identifying angles, corresponding angles and alternate interior angles
- Using parallel lines statements and converse statements
- Explaining the parallel postulate
- Identifying the parts of polygons
- Determining the number of diagonal lines a polygon has
- Measuring the perimeter and area of a regular polygon
- Finding the sum of a polygon
Recall everything you need to know about parallel lines and polygons by watching this chapter's video lessons. They were crafted to ensure your excellence in these areas, and they could also help you answer some of the questions on the OAE Mathematics examination. Take advantage of the ability to study anywhere as long as you have access to an Internet-connected device. The well-educated video instructors answer your related questions. Optimize the learning experience by taking the included quizzes and the chapter examination.
OAE Mathematics: Parallel Lines and Polygons Chapter Objectives
When you take the OAE Mathematics examination, you'll answer 150 multiple-choice questions in approximately four hours and 15 minutes. The test is computer-based and covers parallel lines and polygons as well as other mathematical content areas. The topics in this chapter are part of the Measurement and Geometry domain area; this domain makes up 19% of the test questions. Your mastery of this material will be assessed as will your qualifications for a mathematics endorsement in the state of Ohio. An on-screen calculator will be provided for your use during the examination.
1. Angles Formed by a Transversal
When you have a pair of parallel lines and a transversal, something very interesting happens to the angles that are formed. You can see this happen in real life at street intersections and such. Watch this video lesson to learn about all of this.
2. Parallel Lines: How to Prove Lines Are Parallel
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can prove that two lines are parallel just by matching up pairs of angles. Learn which angles to pair up and what to look for.
3. Using Converse Statements to Prove Lines Are Parallel
Because a pair of parallel lines produces unique angle characteristics, we can use this information to our advantage. Watch this video lesson to see how we turn this advantage into converse statements to help us prove parallel lines.
4. The Parallel Postulate: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about an important postulate in Euclidean geometry, called the Parallel Postulate. It sounds kind of hard, but this lesson explains it in simple terms and provides several examples of it as well.
5. Regular Polygons: Definition & Parts
What makes a polygon a polygon? And what shapes are considered polygons? In this lesson, find out the answers to these questions and more as we learn all about polygons and their parts.
6. How to Find the Number of Diagonals in a Polygon
At first, you might think that the diagonals of a polygon are pretty useless, but watch this video lesson to learn how diagonals are used in real life. You will learn the formula to find how many diagonals a polygon has as well as how to use it.
7. Finding the Perimeter of Polygons
In this video lesson, you will learn the process you need to take to find the perimeter of polygons. You will also learn that there is a shortcut if your polygon is a regular polygon.
8. Measuring the Area of Regular Polygons: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn why a regular polygon makes your life easier when it comes to finding the area inside one. Learn the one formula for area that will work for any type of regular polygon.
9. How to Measure the Angles of a Polygon & Find the Sum
Watch this video lesson to learn the one formula that lets you find the measure of angles in any regular polygon. Also, learn how you can tell if you are working with a regular polygon or not.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Mathematics (027): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Fractions
- OAE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- OAE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- OAE Mathematics: Units of Measure & Conversion
- OAE Mathematics: Logic
- OAE Mathematics: Reasoning
- OAE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- OAE Mathematics: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- OAE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Inequalities
- OAE Mathematics: Absolute Value
- OAE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Polynomials
- OAE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Piecewise Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuity of a Function
- OAE Mathematics: Limits
- OAE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- OAE Mathematics: Derivative Rules
- OAE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- OAE Mathematics: Integration Techniques
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Integration
- OAE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Figures
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- OAE Mathematics: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- OAE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- OAE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- OAE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- OAE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- OAE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- OAE Mathematics: Set Theory
- OAE Mathematics: Statistics Overview
- OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- OAE Mathematics: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Probability
- OAE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Sampling
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Mathematics Flashcards