About This Chapter
OAE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles - Chapter Summary
Watch the short engaging videos if this chapter to review the equations and theorems used to find the properties of triangles. As you do, follow along with professional instructors as they work through example problems and explain each step in the process. After watching these videos, you should be better prepared for questions on the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Mathematics related to:
- Finding the area and perimeter of triangles
- Classifications of triangles
- Interior and exterior angles of triangles
- Identifying properties of similar triangles
- Bisectors of triangles
- Properties of concurrent lines in a triangle
- Properties of dilations
- The Pythagorean theorem
If at any time you become confused about a topic of this chapter, send your questions to our instructors so that they can clarify your understanding of the material. Further reinforce your mastery over the chapter by working on lesson worksheets and taking lesson quizzes. Use the quiz results to determine areas of weakness and then return to these areas with video tags or read over the lesson transcripts to improve your understanding of the chapter.
OAE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles Chapter Objectives
Educators take the OAE Mathematics to demonstrate their mastery over the field of mathematics and complete a requirement for certification. This computer-based certification exam is composed of 150 multiple-choice questions, which are given in a four hour and 15 minute testing session. Nineteen percent of the questions you will see on the exam are part of the measurements and geometry domain, and this section may include some asking about the properties of triangles. This chapter has been put together to aid in your review of the equations and theorems used when findings these properties so that you can efficiently answer these questions.
1. Triangles: Definition and Properties
What makes a shape a triangle? In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a triangle, then analyze the parts of triangles, including the vertices, base and height.
2. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
3. Classifying Triangles by Angles and Sides
Not all triangles are the same. There are equilateral, isosceles and scalene triangles. Then there are right, acute and obtuse triangles. In this lesson, we'll learn how to classify triangles using their sides and angles.
4. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Interior and Exterior Angles of Triangles: Definition & Examples
Knowing just a few things about the interior or exterior angles of triangles is sometimes all you need to put all the pieces together. Find out more in this lesson.
6. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
7. Median, Altitude, and Angle Bisectors of a Triangle
Line segments in triangles are just clutter; they have special names and qualities depending on how they're drawn. In this lesson, we'll learn about medians, altitudes and angle bisectors.
8. Properties of Concurrent Lines in a Triangle
Centroids, orthocenters, incenters, circumcenters, oh my! Don't worry though. In this lesson, we master the various terms for concurrent lines in triangles and match them to altitudes, angle bisectors, perpendicular bisectors and medians.
9. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
10. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
11. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Mathematics (027): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Fractions
- OAE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- OAE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- OAE Mathematics: Units of Measure & Conversion
- OAE Mathematics: Logic
- OAE Mathematics: Reasoning
- OAE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- OAE Mathematics: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- OAE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Inequalities
- OAE Mathematics: Absolute Value
- OAE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Polynomials
- OAE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Piecewise Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuity of a Function
- OAE Mathematics: Limits
- OAE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- OAE Mathematics: Derivative Rules
- OAE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- OAE Mathematics: Integration Techniques
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Integration
- OAE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Figures
- OAE Mathematics: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- OAE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- OAE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- OAE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- OAE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- OAE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- OAE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- OAE Mathematics: Set Theory
- OAE Mathematics: Statistics Overview
- OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- OAE Mathematics: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Probability
- OAE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Sampling
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Mathematics Flashcards