About This Chapter
OAE Mathematics: Statistics - Chapter Overview
Learn about methods of observation and measurement strategies corresponding to the study of statistics in preparation for the OAE Mathematics assessment test. These lessons cover the following subjects in great detail:
- Descriptive & inferential statistics
- Populations and samples
- Estimating parameters
- Quantitative, categorical, continuous and discrete data
- Nominal, ordinal, interval & ratio measurements
- Experiments and observation
- Random selection & allocation
- Convenience sampling
Instructors walk you through various statistical problems and work out the solutions to help you learn and review. The informative video lessons present the material in a unique manner making the study process both educational and entertaining.
Objectives of the OAE Mathematics: Statistics Overview Chapter
The math exam provided by OAE (Ohio Assessments for Educators) is designed for educators seeking licensure in the area of mathematics. The topics in this chapter are part of the statistics, probability, and discrete mathematics section of that exam. This section will count towards approximately 19% of your total score. Review the multiple-choice quizzes that appear at the end of each lesson as they are designed to simulate the style of questions on the actual exam.
The OAE Mathematics assessment consists of 150 multiple-choice questions that will take up to approximately four hours and fifteen minutes to complete. There is also a testing tutorial that will take an additional 15 minutes.
1. Descriptive & Inferential Statistics: Definition, Differences & Examples
Descriptive and inferential statistics each give different insights into the nature of the data gathered. One alone cannot give the whole picture. Together, they provide a powerful tool for both description and prediction.
2. Difference between Populations & Samples in Statistics
Before you start collecting any information, it is important to understand the differences between population and samples. This lesson will show you how!
3. Defining the Difference between Parameters & Statistics
Using data to describe information can be tricky. The first step is knowing the difference between populations and samples, and then parameters and statistics.
4. Estimating a Parameter from Sample Data: Process & Examples
One of the most useful things we can do with data is use it to describe a population. Learn how in this lesson as we discuss the concepts of parameters and samples.
5. What is Quantitative Data? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to find out the difference between saying you have seven apples and saying that those apples are delicious. You will learn about quantitative data and why it is useful.
6. What is Categorical Data? - Definition & Examples
Categorical data is one of two types of data that you can collect when conducting research. This lesson will teach you how to understand and use categorical data.
7. Discrete & Continuous Data: Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to find that data is more than just a collection of numbers. Data is divided into several categories, including discrete and continuous data. Find out why!
8. Nominal, Ordinal, Interval & Ratio Measurements: Definition & Examples
Different types of data can be grouped and measured in different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio measurements.
9. The Purpose of Statistical Models
Understanding statistics requires that you understand statistical models. This lesson will help you understand the purpose of statistics, statistical models, and types of variables.
10. Experiments vs Observational Studies: Definition, Differences & Examples
There are different ways to collect data for research. In this lesson, you will learn about collecting data through observational studies and experiments and the differences between each.
11. Random Selection & Random Allocation: Differences, Benefits & Examples
Random selection and random allocation are often confused with one another. This lesson will help you remember the differences between them and learn how to use each method.
12. Convenience Sampling in Statistics: Definition & Limitations
Convenience sampling is one of the most common types of sampling in research. This is because of the benefits that convenience sample brings to the researcher. However, there are some limitations. You will learn about both in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Mathematics (027): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Fractions
- OAE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- OAE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- OAE Mathematics: Units of Measure & Conversion
- OAE Mathematics: Logic
- OAE Mathematics: Reasoning
- OAE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- OAE Mathematics: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- OAE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Inequalities
- OAE Mathematics: Absolute Value
- OAE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Polynomials
- OAE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Piecewise Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuity of a Function
- OAE Mathematics: Limits
- OAE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- OAE Mathematics: Derivative Rules
- OAE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- OAE Mathematics: Integration Techniques
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Integration
- OAE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Figures
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- OAE Mathematics: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- OAE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- OAE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- OAE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- OAE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- OAE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- OAE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- OAE Mathematics: Set Theory
- OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- OAE Mathematics: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Probability
- OAE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Sampling
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Mathematics Flashcards