About This Chapter
OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter on summarizing data can assist you in preparing to take the OAE Mathematics assessment. The videos will help you get organized for the test and give you insight into the types of questions you will need to answer, including:
- Defining the center in a data set
- Identifying and defining measures of central tendency
- Calculating mean, median, mode and range
- Understanding visual representations of data
- Finding percentiles in a data set
- Defining population and sample variance
- Calculating standard deviation
Instructors in each of the lessons guide you through the materials to provide you with a complete overview of how to summarize data. This unique approach to instruction makes learning fun and easy, while ensuring you're prepared to face the questions you'll find on your exam.
OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data Chapter Objectives
The OAE Mathematics assessment tests your understanding of mathematics concepts to make sure you have the knowledge and skills necessary to teach this subject area and secure teaching licensing in the state of Ohio. The subjects covered in the OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data chapter are found in the statistics, probability and discrete mathematics portion of the exam, which constitutes about 19% of the assessment. You can use the self-assessment quizzes found in each lesson of this chapter to gauge how well you understand the materials. They can also prepare you for the questions you're likely to encounter on the exam.
The questions found on the assessment are all multiple choice, based on specific competencies, and come in the form of short statements, paragraphs or questions. Following each question will be four answers, one of which you'll be asked to choose as the best option.
1. What is the Center in a Data Set? - Definition & Options
Finding the center in a data set can sometimes be a little confusing. This lesson will help you determine the correct method for finding the center in a data set, and when you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
2. Mean, Median & Mode: Measures of Central Tendency
By describing the data using central tendency, a researcher and reader can understand what the typical score looks like. In this lesson, we will explore in more detail these measures of central tendency and how they relate to samples and populations.
3. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
4. Visual Representations of a Data Set: Shape, Symmetry & Skewness
Visual representations are a fantastic way of understanding and analyzing your data. Use this lesson to understand the characteristics of visual representations of data.
5. Measures of Dispersion and Skewness
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can describe your data using two different statistical characteristics. Learn what it means for your graph to have variability and what it means for your graph to be skewed.
6. Unimodal & Bimodal Distributions: Definition & Examples
Sometimes a single mode does not accurately describe a data set. In this lesson, learn the differences between and the uses of unimodal and bimodal distribution. When you are finished, test your knowledge with a quiz!
7. Spread in Data Sets: Definition & Example
Identifying the spread in data sets is a very important part of statistics. You can do this several ways, but the most common methods are through range, interquartile range, and variance.
8. Maximums, Minimums & Outliers in a Data Set
When analyzing data sets, the first thing to identify is the maximums, minimums, and outliers. This lesson will help you learn how to identify these important items.
9. Quartiles & the Interquartile Range: Definition, Formulate & Examples
Quartiles and the interquartile range can be used to group and analyze data sets. In this lesson, learn the definition and steps for finding the quartiles and interquartile range for a given data set.
10. Finding Percentiles in a Data Set: Formula & Examples
Percentiles are often used in academics to compare student scores. Finding percentiles in a data set can be a useful way to organize and compare numbers in a data set.
11. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
12. The Effect of Linear Transformations on Measures of Center & Spread
Linear transformations can be a great way to manipulate and analyze data. This lesson will show you how those transformations affect the center and spread of data.
13. Population & Sample Variance: Definition, Formula & Examples
Population and sample variance can help you describe and analyze data beyond the mean of the data set. In this lesson, learn the differences between population and sample variance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Mathematics (027): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Fractions
- OAE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- OAE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- OAE Mathematics: Units of Measure & Conversion
- OAE Mathematics: Logic
- OAE Mathematics: Reasoning
- OAE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- OAE Mathematics: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- OAE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Inequalities
- OAE Mathematics: Absolute Value
- OAE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Polynomials
- OAE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Piecewise Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuity of a Function
- OAE Mathematics: Limits
- OAE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- OAE Mathematics: Derivative Rules
- OAE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- OAE Mathematics: Integration Techniques
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Integration
- OAE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Figures
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- OAE Mathematics: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- OAE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- OAE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- OAE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- OAE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- OAE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- OAE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- OAE Mathematics: Set Theory
- OAE Mathematics: Statistics Overview
- OAE Mathematics: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Probability
- OAE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Sampling
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Mathematics Flashcards