About This Chapter
OAE Mathematics: Triangle Theorems & Proofs - Chapter Summary
Delve into this chapter as you go through the steps for determining the different measurements of triangles. The OAE Mathematics test includes a fair amount of geometry questions, and some of those questions could address the following topics:
- Congruence proofs
- HA, AAS, and HL theorems
- Similarity and congruence relationships
- The congruency of different types of triangles
- The congruence postulates of triangles
- Perpendicular bisector and angle bisector theorems
Use our video lessons as a way to bridge the gap between what you know and what you don't know very well. You can view the lessons at home or on any device that connects to the Internet. Make studying for the OAE Mathematics test work for you and your schedule by reviewing our short video lessons whenever and wherever you can.
OAE Mathematics: Triangle Theorems & Proofs Chapter Objectives
Mathematics educators in Ohio may need to take the OAE Mathematics test in order to obtain a license for employment. This comprehensive test examines your knowledge of five key mathematical categories. The questions are in a multiple-choice format, and you will have around four hours to answer 150 questions. This particular chapter addresses a topic found within the measurement and geometry section; about 19% of your final test score comes from questions in this section.
1. Triangle Congruence Postulates: SAS, ASA & SSS
When we have two triangles, how can we tell if they're congruent? They may look the same, but you can be certain by using one of several triangle congruence postulates, such as SSS, SAS or ASA.
2. Congruence Proofs: Corresponding Parts of Congruent Triangles
Congruent triangles have congruent sides and angles, and the sides and angles of one triangle correspond to their twins in the other. In this lesson, we'll try practice with some geometric proofs based around this theorem.
3. Converse of a Statement: Explanation and Example
Just because a conditional statement is true, is the converse of the statement always going to be true? In this lesson, we'll learn the truth about the converse of statements.
4. Practice Proving Relationships using Congruence & Similarity
In geometry, if two shapes are similar they have the same shape but different sizes, while two congruent shapes have the same shape and size. In this lesson, you will learn how to prove that shapes are similar or congruent.
5. The AAS (Angle-Angle-Side) Theorem: Proof and Examples
When trying to find out if triangles are congruent, it's helpful to have as many tools as possible. In this lesson, we'll add to our congruence toolbox by learning about the AAS theorem, or angle-angle-side.
6. The HA (Hypotenuse Angle) Theorem: Proof, Explanation, & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn about the hypotenuse angle theorem. With this theorem, we can prove two right triangles are congruent with just congruent hypotenuses and acute angles.
7. The HL (Hypotenuse Leg) Theorem: Definition, Proof, & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn about the hypotenuse leg theorem. This theorem enables us to prove two right triangles are congruent based on just two sides.
8. Perpendicular Bisector Theorem: Proof and Example
Perpendicular bisectors are multifunctional lines. They're not only perpendicular to the line in question, they also neatly divide it into two equal halves. In this lesson, we'll learn about the perpendicular bisector theorem.
9. Angle Bisector Theorem: Proof and Example
The angle bisector theorem sounds almost too good to be true. In this lesson, we set out to prove the theorem and then look at a few examples of how it's used.
10. Congruency of Right Triangles: Definition of LA and LL Theorems
In this lesson, we'll learn two theorems that help us prove when two right triangles are congruent to one another. The LA theorem, or leg-acute, and LL theorem, or leg-leg, are useful shortcuts for proving congruence.
11. Congruency of Isosceles Triangles: Proving the Theorem
Isosceles triangles have two equal sides. Are the base angles also equal? In this lesson, we'll prove how this is true. We'll also prove the theorem's converse.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Mathematics (027): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Fractions
- OAE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- OAE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- OAE Mathematics: Units of Measure & Conversion
- OAE Mathematics: Logic
- OAE Mathematics: Reasoning
- OAE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- OAE Mathematics: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- OAE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Inequalities
- OAE Mathematics: Absolute Value
- OAE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Polynomials
- OAE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- OAE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- OAE Mathematics: Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Piecewise Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuity of a Function
- OAE Mathematics: Limits
- OAE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- OAE Mathematics: Derivative Rules
- OAE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- OAE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- OAE Mathematics: Integration Techniques
- OAE Mathematics: Applications of Integration
- OAE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Figures
- OAE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- OAE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- OAE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- OAE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- OAE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- OAE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- OAE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- OAE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- OAE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- OAE Mathematics: Set Theory
- OAE Mathematics: Statistics Overview
- OAE Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- OAE Mathematics: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- OAE Mathematics: Probability
- OAE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- OAE Mathematics: Sampling
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Mathematics Flashcards