About This Chapter
OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry - Chapter Summary
Watch short video lessons to recall how to analyze poetry so you're prepared to answer related questions on the OAE Middle Grades English Language Arts assessment. The lessons in this chapter can prepare you to address the following on the exam:
- Identifying poetry literary terms
- Examining poems with ABAB rhyme scheme
- Defining blank verse, free verse poetry, elegy poems and narrative poems
- Analyzing odes and sonnets
- Understanding the rhyme scheme and format of the Petrarchan sonnet
- Defining the ballad poem, soliloquy and consonance in literature
- Examining how the structure of a drama or poem contributes to meaning
The instructors in the video lessons ensure your learning process is comprehensive and fun by providing the methods you need to analyze poetry in an entertaining package. This unique approach to online instruction helps you fully understand the materials as you prepare for the exam.
OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry Chapter Objectives
The OAE Middle Grades English Language Arts assessment is designed to test your knowledge of the subject to ensure you're prepared to acquire your teaching license and educate students in the Ohio middle school classroom. This chapter covers topics found in the reading various text forms and analyzing and interpreting literature portion of the exam, which constitutes about 29% of the test. Watch the engaging video lessons in this chapter to strengthen your ability to analyze poetry and take self-assessment quizzes to access questions formatted like those you'll encounter on test day.
The assessment is composed of all multiple-choice questions that are based on specific test competencies. The questions are often accompanied by an excerpt, passage or illustration that you must read or examine to conceptualize an idea. Each question is followed by four answers, one of which you will be required to choose as the best response.
1. Glossary of Literary Terms: Poetry
Before you start your study of poetry, you'll want to have these technical, literary and genre terms at your disposal. Read on to learn the basics of analyzing poetry!
2. Poems with ABAB Rhyme Scheme: Examples & Definition
In this lesson, we will delve into the wonderful world of poetry. Specifically, we will analyze poems with the ABAB rhyme scheme. After a few examples, we will analyze how poets implement this type of rhyme scheme to create memorable poems. We will conclude our lesson with a brief quiz.
3. Blank Verse: Definition and Examples
Blank verse has been used in both drama and poetry for centuries. Watch this video to see how different poets use this technique to bring the audience into a trance or to jolt them into reflection.
4. What Is Free Verse Poetry? - Examples & Definition
Did you know that Walt Whitman, who lived in the mid-1800s, was influential in shaping the American identity? Find out how his writing style is connected to the King James Bible and the famous Beat poet Allen Ginsberg.
5. Elegy Poems: Definition & Examples
For centuries, people have expressed their grief for the loss of loved ones in elegies. Learn how the elegy differs from the eulogy and how Don McLean's 'American Pie' falls into the ranks of Walt Whitman's 'O Captain! My Captain!'
6. Narrative Poems: Types & Examples
Some of history's most famous heroes have been immortalized in narrative poetry: King Arthur, Odysseus, and even Jed Clampett. From Homer to Chaucer to Poe to The Beverly Hillbillies, narrative poetry has been used to preserve some of the world's greatest stories.
7. Odes: Forms & Examples
Have you ever appreciated something or someone so much you were inspired to write a poem? If so, then the ode is the poem for you! Learn about the three types of odes and how they are used to celebrate the people and things.
8. Sonnets: Definition & Examples
If you want to profess your love in a poem, you might not think to look back a few hundred years for inspiration. Learn how some of the greatest poets in history used the sonnet to woo their lovers.
9. Petrarchan Sonnet: Rhyme Scheme, Format & Example Poems
The sonnet is one of the most well-respected poetic forms in the English language, but did you know that this form began in Italian? Explore the inner workings of the Petrarchan sonnet and break down examples from Emma Lazarus and Joshua Mehigan.
10. What is a Ballad Poem? - Definition, Structure & Examples
Ballad poems, folk ballads. . . they're all the same, right? Not exactly. Find out the difference in this lesson, where you'll learn about ballad poems, their structure and get to see a couple examples of this poetic genre.
11. Soliloquy: Definition & Examples
Drama is a vastly different medium from written literature. This lesson focuses on one particular thing that exists only in spoken performances: the soliloquy.
12. How the Structure of a Poem or Drama Contributes to Meaning
Look closely at the form of any poem or play. Authors put a lot of thought into the structure of their work. This lesson discusses how that structure contributes to the overall meaning of the piece as a whole.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Middle Grades English Language Arts (028): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Organization in Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Elements of Plot in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Point of View in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Genres in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Nonfiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Fiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Prose
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Examining Literary Works
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Modifiers
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Comma Rules
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Spelling Rules
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Clear & Concise Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Elements of Research Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Using Visuals to Present Information
- OAE Middle Grades English Language Arts Flashcards