About This Chapter
OAE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons to review facts on the process of listening and what makes for effective listening. Our videos explore the following topics that can help you answer questions on the OAE Middle Grades ELA exam:
- How hearing and listening differ
- Stages of the listening process
- Techniques for active listening
- Listening for tone and attitude, agreement and disagreement,
- Recognizing intonation cues and main points
- Basic comprehension and pragmatic understanding techniques
- Connecting and synthesizing information
- Types of listening in groups
- Barriers to effective group listening
These lessons review information you may have studied in college, but odds are you'll learn a few new facts from our expert instructors. You can watch these videos on a computer or mobile device, whenever you have a few extra minutes.
Objectives of the OAE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening Chapter
Passing the OAE Middle Grades ELA exam is a requirement for teachers seeking Ohio certification in this area. The exam has five content domains, and the questions on the material this chapter covers are in domain V, which examines competency in oral and visual communication. Domain V accounts for 14% of the exam's total score.
The OAE Middle Grades ELA exam is a computer-based, multiple-choice test, like the brief quizzes that accompany our video lessons. These quizzes allow you to assess your learning, and also offer the opportunity to answer questions in a format similar to what you'll face on OAE exam day.
1. Hearing vs. Listening: Importance of Listening Skills for Speakers
While often used synonymously, hearing and listening are really two very different things. Hearing is involuntary and uncontrollable. Listening, however, requires an attention.
2. The Four Stages of the Listening Process
As messages are sent to us, it seems as though we simply hear and react, but there is actually a process that our brains use to process the information. It begins with attending, then interpreting, responding and finally remembering the information.
3. Listening for Tone & Attitude
When you're learning English, listening for a speaker's tone or attitude can be even harder than listening for meaning - here are some tips for how to make it work.
4. Listening for Agreement & Disagreement
Listening for agreement and disagreement can be tough if English isn't your first language. Here are some tips and practice questions to help you make it work.
5. Listening for Intonation Cues
Making sense of intonation cues in spoken English can be tough, especially if it isn't your first language. To help you figure it out, here's a guide to what to listen for.
6. Listening for the Main Point
In this lesson, you'll get some tips on listening to a passage of spoken English for the main point. Don't get bogged down in the details; focus on what's really important!
7. Listening for Basic Comprehension
The basic level of listening is not difficult, but it takes some skill. Developing listening skills is important for many different people from virtually all walks of life.
8. Listening for Pragmatic Understanding
Listening and hearing aren't always the same thing. Certain situations call for a more focused kind of listening. In this lesson, we'll discuss some ways that you can listen to gain a pragmatic understanding of a topic.
9. Connecting & Synthesizing Information
Do you find it difficult to remember large amounts of information delivered verbally? This lesson will explain how to connect material when listening to a lecture or speech and synthesize the information into key and sub points to be able to better remember it.
10. Listening Effectively in Groups: Critical, Selective, Active & Empathetic Listening
Being an effective listener allows relationship building and leads to increased productivity in the workplace. To form an environment for effective listening, you need to know the best group sizes and the four types of effective listening.
11. Barriers to Effective Listening in Groups
Barriers to effective listening in groups can cause significant workplace issues. Selective listening and selective perception are two type of problems that can impede successful business decisions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Middle Grades English Language Arts (028): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Organization in Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Elements of Plot in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Point of View in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Genres in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Nonfiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Fiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Prose
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Examining Literary Works
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Modifiers
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Comma Rules
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Spelling Rules
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Clear & Concise Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Elements of Research Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Using Visuals to Present Information
- OAE Middle Grades English Language Arts Flashcards