About This Chapter
OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies - Chapter Summary
As you prepare to take the Ohio Assessments Middle Grades ELA test, it's important to get an idea of what you are likely to find on the exam. The video lessons in the chapter are designed to help you prepare for the section on reading comprehension strategies so you are ready for the following:
- Teaching reading comprehension
- Reading bell ringers
- Comparing close and big picture reading strategies
- Using the four-square strategy to identify and define key vocabulary
- Examining probing questions and metacognitive strategies
- Analyzing advantages and disadvantages of technology in the classroom
- Strategies for scaffolding reading instruction
Our video lessons examine reading comprehension strategies in a high-quality format and offer accompanying transcripts to create an engaging and comprehensive learning environment. The online approach allows you to learn at your own pace and ensures that you fully understand the materials as you prepare for the exam.
OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies Chapter Objectives
You can watch the fun and informative video lessons in this OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies chapter to examine reading comprehension strategies you are likely to be asked about on the test. The topics in this chapter can be found in the Reading Process and Comprehension, and Reading Across the Curriculum sections of the test, which constitute about 21% of the total exam. As you get ready to the take the test, keep in mind that it is designed to assess your knowledge of English language arts and determine if you're qualified to secure your teaching license in Ohio. By thoroughly exploring the video lessons and taking self-assessment quizzes, you can ensure you're ready to answer questions competently come exam day.
The test is composed of all multiple-choice questions. Many present an excerpt, passage or illustration that you must read first. Following each question is a set of four answers. You will be required to choose the single answer that constitutes the best response to the question posed.
1. Close Reading vs. Big Picture Reading Strategies
In this lesson, learn about two different approaches to reading a work of literature: big picture strategies and close reading strategies. Discover how these two perspectives can be put into practice through examples from the play 'Romeo and Juliet.'
2. Using the Four-Square Strategy to Identify & Define Key Vocabulary
In this lesson, we'll explore how to use the Four-Square Strategy to learn and remember important vocabulary words. We'll also practice with a couple sample words.
3. Strategies for Scaffolding Reading Instruction
Ever heard the phrase 'reading is the gateway to all learning'? Reading is one of the areas targeted by most states for assessment because it not only is a critical area in academics, but also an area where most students were not showing gains. This lesson will highlight strategies to help struggling readers develop skills to be successful in the classroom.
4. Metacognitive Strategies: Definition & Examples
This lesson will define and explain in detail what metacognitive strategies are and how they can be used in the classroom to help deepen students' thinking about content and develop students who are ready and willing to tackle new content.
5. Reading Strategies Using Visualization
In this lesson, we will define visualization. We will then discuss why this step is important, how we can visualize, and when you should visualize. Finally, we will look at a sample from a poem and practice visualizing.
6. Advance Organizers in the Classroom: Teaching Strategies & Advantages
An advance organizer is a very useful tool for teachers to help students understand, retain and remember new learning material. In this lesson, we define an advance organizer and discuss examples and benefits of use in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Middle Grades English Language Arts (028): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Organization in Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Elements of Plot in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Point of View in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Genres in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Nonfiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Fiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Prose
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Examining Literary Works
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Modifiers
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Comma Rules
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Spelling Rules
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Clear & Concise Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Elements of Research Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Using Visuals to Present Information
- OAE Middle Grades English Language Arts Flashcards