About This Chapter
OAE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process - Chapter Summary
Let us help you review steps in the writing process before taking the OAE Middle Grades ELA exam. Our lessons and quizzes cover topics such as brainstorming ideas, organizing an essay and rewriting. The information in this chapter can help you with exam questions on:
- Pre-writing and brainstorming
- Developing a thesis statement
- Organizing an essay
- Using sources and evaluating evidence
- Structuring paragraphs and sentences
- Appealing to your audience
- Setting the tone through word choice and language
- Revising your work
You can review these lessons and complete the brief quizzes as your schedule allows. Review for the OAE Middle Grades ELA exam can take place wherever you have access to the Internet, on a computer or a mobile device.
Objectives of the OAE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process Chapter
In Ohio, passing the OAE Middle Grades ELA exam is a requirement for certification to teach language arts at this level. The exam contains five domains. Questions on the topics covered in this chapter's lessons are in the domain on modes of writing, which accounts for 21% of the exam's total content.
All questions on the exam are multiple choice, and the quizzes that accompany our lessons offer practice in taking a test in this format. The quizzes also let you check your learning and find out what might require additional review.
1. Effective Prewriting: Instructions and Examples
You should learn prewriting techniques, such as brainstorming, mapping, and freewriting, to produce well-planned, focused essays. This lesson explains the basics for how to conduct effective prewriting.
2. What Is Brainstorming?
You may have been told that it's important to brainstorm before writing an essay. This video explains why it's well worth your time to make brainstorming part of your writing routine.
3. Techniques for Brainstorming Great Ideas
Great essays are made up of great ideas. Finding those great ideas is the first critical step on the road to writing a terrific essay. Learn some popular and effective brainstorming techniques that will work whether you have an hour or two weeks to write your paper.
4. Choosing How to Organize Your Writing: Task, Purpose & Audience
By following a series of tasks, making sure to decide upon our purpose for writing and tailoring the paper to our audience, we can write stronger essays and reports. Watch this lesson to find out how to do these things.
5. Thesis Development: Steps and Instructions
One of the most important components of a successful academic essay is a strong thesis statement. Learn how to construct an effective thesis statement for a persuasive essay by watching this lesson.
6. Writing: Main Idea, Thesis Statement & Topic Sentences
What exactly is your essay about? Writing great thesis statements and topic sentences that align with your main idea will help readers to understand the theme, ideas, and central focus of your essay.
7. How to Organize an Essay
In this video, we will cover the steps involved in organizing an essay. We'll talk about titles, introductory paragraphs, concluding paragraphs, main points, transition statements and editing.
8. How to Use Sources to Write Essays and Evaluate Evidence
When writing an essay, you will often be asked to utilize appropriate sources for evidence, including facts and definitions. In this video, we will talk about the ways we can utilize and evaluate sources and evidence.
9. Evaluating Reasoning in an Essay or Article
Being able to effectively evaluate reasoning can be helpful to you as you develop your own deductive and inductive reasoning skills and put those skills to work in persuasive essays. This lesson sheds some light on how to evaluate reasoning.
10. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
11. How to Structure Sentences in an Essay
Sometimes we know what we want to write, but we are just unsure of the best way to write it. In this video, we will cover ways to structure sentences in an essay.
12. How to Write a Great Argument
Many times our writing must not just be informative but it must also be persuasive. One of the best ways to be very persuasive is to use a great argument. Learn six steps you can follow to write a great argument.
13. Using Rhetorical Skills to Write Better Essays
In this video, you will explore the basics of identifying your purpose and audience and learn how to use effective rhetorical skills in your persuasive writing.
14. How Word Choice and Language Sets the Tone of Your Essay
In this video, we will discuss how word choice sets the tone for your essay. This includes letting the reader know if you are angry, happy or even attempting to refrain from bias. These tools bring your 'voice' into your writing.
15. Logos, Ethos and Pathos: 3 Ways to Appeal to an Audience in Essays
Appeal is an important aspect to writing, especially when your goal is to inform and/or persuade the reader in some area. In this lesson, we will examine the three main types of appeal: logos, ethos and pathos
16. How to Evaluate Reasoning
Evaluating reasoning in an essay or article is an important step in critical analysis. Being able to judge if something is reasonable whether or not you agree with the argument will be our learning focus for this video.
17. How to Write Strong Transitions and Transitional Sentences
Transitions are the words and sentences that tie a work of writing together. They guide the reader from idea to idea, making connections that turns pieces into a whole. Find out more in this lesson.
18. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Middle Grades English Language Arts (028): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Organization in Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Elements of Plot in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Point of View in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Genres in Literature
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Nonfiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Fiction
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Prose
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Examining Literary Works
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Modifiers
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Comma Rules
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Spelling Rules
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Clear & Concise Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Elements of Research Writing
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- OAE Middle Grades ELA: Using Visuals to Present Information
- OAE Middle Grades English Language Arts Flashcards