About This Chapter
OAE Physical Education: Health-Related Physical Fitness - Chapter Summary
Physical fitness has many health-related benefits. Explore the ways in which to utilize physical fitness to improve health by watching the engaging video lessons outlined in this chapter. This study guide chapter reviews topics including:
- Understanding the necessity of physical fitness
- Utilizing training and conditioning principles to improve strength and endurance
- Improving flexibility through stretching and exercise
- Techniques for developing and maintaining a healthy body composition
- Types and components of various exercise programs and how to safely and efficiently use them
The easy-to-understand format of these video lessons will help you effectively prepare for these types of questions on the OAE Physical Education exam. Assess your material comprehension by taking the brief quizzes at the end of each lesson and utilizing the comprehensive chapter exam. The quizzes are embedded with direct links that will route you back to specific points and topics within the videos for easy review. Full video transcripts with highlighted key words are also available to help you study so you are thoroughly prepared for the exam.
1. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
2. Using Conditioning & Training Principles
In this lesson, we will discuss conditioning and training principles. We review some of the principles associated with these two concepts. We present training plans for running and Crossfit. Importantly, we also discuss nutrition, rest, and recovery.
3. Flexibility in Fitness: Definition, Stretches & Exercises
Flexibility is important in fitness because it allows for better performance when playing sports or exercising, and during your day-to-day activities, it makes bending, walking, and lifting easier. In this lesson, you will learn how stretching and certain types of exercises can help improve flexibility.
4. How to Improve Body Composition
In this lesson we will review ways to improve body composition. We will discuss the two major ways to change body composition which are strength training and cardiovascular training. We will also touch upon diet and safety practices.
5. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
6. Exercise: Safety & Effectiveness
In this lesson, we'll explain the importance of exercise in a healthy life. We'll provide an overview of popular exercise regimens, like team sports, running, swimming, and cycling, which can be used alone or together.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physical Education (034): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physical Education: Human Growth & Development
- OAE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- OAE Physical Education: Motor Development & Learning
- OAE Physical Education: Principles of Biomechanics
- OAE Physical Education: Sports & Recreational Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Group & Adventure Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Fitness & Weight Management Plans
- OAE Physical Education: Socially & Personally Responsible Behavior
- OAE Physical Education: Physical Education Programs
- OAE Physical Education: Instructional Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Professional & Safety Guidelines
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physical Education Flashcards