About This Chapter
OAE Physical Education: Human Growth & Development - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide overviews of the developmental stages from young childhood through adulthood. You'll review information about cognitive, motor, social and emotional growth and the impact of these developments on physical abilities and activities. The material is designed to help you meet knowledge and skills levels required for those taking the OAE Physical Education exam and this review will help you fully grasp the following concepts:
- Physical, cognitive, social and emotional development
- Brain development in infants
- Physical and cognitive development in children and adolescents
- Influences on cognitive development in adults
- Different self-concept dimensions
- How gender differences influence social development
- Changes in physical activities throughout one's lifespan
- Different kinds of wellness
- Ways in which wellness can be maintained throughout life
It could be helpful to view the video lessons and then print the transcripts to use as reference tools for key term definitions and examples. Take the self-assessment quizzes to ascertain your readiness for related questions on the OAE Physical Education exam.
1. What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Everyone grows and changes throughout their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at some important times in physical development, including childhood and old age, and how physical development contributes to other types of development.
2. What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
People grow and develop in many different ways and in many different areas. In this lesson, we'll look closer at three types of human development: cognitive, social, and emotional development.
3. Motor, Sensory & Brain Development in the First Two Years of Life
Babies grow and change so much in the first two years of life, and many of those changes are directly tied to the brain and its key functions. In this lesson, we'll look at brain, motor and sensory development in infants.
4. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
5. Cognitive Development in Children: Conservation, Decentration & Centration
As children grow, so do their thinking skills, knowledge, and learning. Watch this lesson to learn about how young children develop cognitively, including the key cognitive concepts of centration, decentration, and conservation.
6. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
7. Changes in Cognitive Development During Adolescence
Adolescence is a period of great change. Changes in the way teenagers think can cause them to do things like argue with adults. Watch this lesson for more information on the cognitive changes that occur in adolescence.
8. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Despite the fact that most people are fully grown by early adulthood, it is still a time of physical development. In this lesson, we'll explore the physical and health issues that people in early adulthood experience.
9. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Though adults don't physically grow as they age, they do still grow mentally. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cognitive development in adulthood, including how it is influenced by college and work experiences.
10. Social Development of Adults: Self Concept
How would an adult think about his or her self-concept? In this lesson, we'll take a look at what makes up self-concept in adulthood, its changes over time, and how it relates to self-esteem and self-image.
11. Gender Differences in Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of growth and change. Some of these changes are different in boys and girls, though. In this lesson, we'll examine gender differences in emotional and brain development during adolescence.
12. Understanding the Impact of Gender Differences in Social Development
How does one's gender impact behavior and interactions with others? Research has shown that men and women interact differently in social settings and society has ideas for what is appropriate male and female behavior.
13. Activities for Developing Basic Movement Patterns
In this lesson, we review activities that develop basic movement patterns. We discuss slow and fast movements and identify five common activities for developing nine of the patterns.
14. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
15. Maintaining Wellness Throughout the Lifespan
What does it mean to be well? How can we maintain wellness throughout the lifespan? This lesson will discuss wellness and will introduce different ways to maintain it throughout the lifespan.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physical Education (034): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- OAE Physical Education: Motor Development & Learning
- OAE Physical Education: Principles of Biomechanics
- OAE Physical Education: Sports & Recreational Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Group & Adventure Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Health-Related Physical Fitness
- OAE Physical Education: Fitness & Weight Management Plans
- OAE Physical Education: Socially & Personally Responsible Behavior
- OAE Physical Education: Physical Education Programs
- OAE Physical Education: Instructional Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Professional & Safety Guidelines
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physical Education Flashcards