About This Chapter
OAE Physical Education: Motor Development & Learning - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter are designed to reinforce your knowledge on key motor development and learning issues. Upon completion of the chapter's lessons, you should be well-prepared for any questions you see on the OAE Physical Education test about the following:
- Motor unit summation
- The development of fine motor skills in children
- Motor and sensory changes that occur during late adulthood
- Perceptual development
- Factors that affect motor development
- Motor development from infancy through adolescence
- The use of sports and games to promote motor development
Once you have viewed the videos, you can print lesson transcripts to use as handy reference tools. The Timeline allows you to easily jump ahead or go back in a video. Take the self-assessment quizzes to measure your understanding of what you reviewed in the lessons and to practice answering the same type of multiple-choice questions you'll find on the OAE Physical Education exam.
1. How Motor Unit Summation Develops Muscle Tension
Did you know that skeletal muscles are composed of motor units? This lesson describes the nature of a motor unit and how motor unit recruitment regulates whole muscle contraction. Additionally, this lesson describes the effect of strength conditioning on muscle.
2. What Are Fine Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Think of toddlers at a daycare, or the young actors in the movie 'The Kindergarten Cop.' What comes to mind? Is it small children doing arts and crafts or possibly running around with scissors? These are examples of fine motor skills, which children should develop around this age.
3. Sensory and Motor Changes in Late Adulthood
As people age, their senses change and dull. But why does this happen? In this lesson, we'll examine the changes in the brain and nervous system that cause a decline in sensory perception in later life.
4. Perceptual Development in Infants
Why are some senses more developed than others for a newborn? You'll learn which senses are initially important for infants to bond with and recognize their mothers and which one is still in development after birth.
5. The Role of Attention in Perceptual Development
How does a child's perceptual development progress, and what is the role of attention in this process? This lesson will use examples to teach you about this relationship and walk you through the changes.
6. Factors Influencing Motor Development
Understanding and supporting motor development in children plays an important role in teaching kids. This lesson will discuss gross and fine motor skills and the factors that influence their development.
7. Motor Development in Infancy, Early Childhood & Adolescence
Motor development changes throughout the lifespan. This lesson discusses motor development in infancy, early childhood, and adolescence. Both gross and fine motor development are addressed.
8. Promoting Motor Learning With Activities, Sports & Games
In this lesson, we review ways to promote motor learning. We discuss activities, sports, and games that improve motor learning, and we discuss certain patterns and behaviors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physical Education (034): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physical Education: Human Growth & Development
- OAE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- OAE Physical Education: Principles of Biomechanics
- OAE Physical Education: Sports & Recreational Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Group & Adventure Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Health-Related Physical Fitness
- OAE Physical Education: Fitness & Weight Management Plans
- OAE Physical Education: Socially & Personally Responsible Behavior
- OAE Physical Education: Physical Education Programs
- OAE Physical Education: Instructional Activities
- OAE Physical Education: Professional & Safety Guidelines
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physical Education Flashcards