About This Chapter
OAE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves - Chapter Summary
Complete these lessons and assessments to review what you need to know for the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Physics exam about electromagnetic waves and the electromagnetic spectrum. Watch the lesson videos presented by expert instructors to prepare yourself for questions about:
- Sources and properties of electromagnetic waves
- Major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum
- Single-split and double-split diffraction
- Electromagnetic radiation: wavelengths, energy and spectrum
- Uses for x-rays
- Specular reflection
All of the lessons can be watched multiple times, and you can reinforce your comprehension of the topics by completing the self-assessment quizzes. Transcripts reflect the narrated lessons, and many contain highlighted terms that you can research further.
OAE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves Chapter Objectives
Educators take the OAE Physics to demonstrate their mastery over the subject of physics and earn certification. This computer-administered exam includes 150 multiple-choice questions and has a 225-minute time limit. You'll earn fourteen percent of your score when you complete the 'Waves' content domain of the exam. The section includes some questions about electromagnetic radiation. This chapter has been assembled to aid in your review of electromagnetic waves and the electromagnetic spectrum so that you will be able to answer the questions accurately.
1. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources & Properties
In this lesson, learn the basics of electromagnetic waves and how they make up the electromagnetic spectrum. We will explore the major trends and categories within the spectrum, as well as the various sources of electromagnetic waves.
2. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
3. Single-slit Diffraction: Interference Pattern & Equations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what single-slit diffraction is, describe and picture the pattern that it creates on a distant screen and use the equation of single-slit diffraction to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
4. Double-slit Diffraction: Interference Pattern & Equations
This lesson explores double-slit diffraction, including the significance of Young's double slit experiment and how the diffraction pattern forms. You will also learn to use equations to calculate the positions of minima and maxima in the pattern.
5. What Are X-rays? - Definition & Uses
This lesson describes X-rays and their many uses, from looking at broken bones to analyzing the rocks on Mars. Learn how X-rays are part of the larger electromagnetic spectrum, which ranges from radio waves to powerful gamma rays.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physics (035): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physics: Scientific Research
- OAE Physics: Scientific Data Analysis
- OAE Physics: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Physics: Science in the Past & Present
- OAE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- OAE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- OAE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- OAE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- OAE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- OAE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- OAE Physics: Oscillations
- OAE Physics: Electrostatics
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetism
- OAE Physics: Circuit Overview
- OAE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- OAE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
- OAE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- OAE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- OAE Physics: Modern Physics
- OAE Physics: Nuclear Physics
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physics Flashcards