About This Chapter
OAE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses - Chapter Summary
In this chapter's lessons, you'll see how mirrors and lenses work and learn about the origin of light, light rays and color. The videos cover the following topics that could help you with questions on the OAE Physics exam:
- The origin of light, color spectrum and frequency
- Principles of reflection, refraction and dispersion
- Types of light rays
- Equations for solving mirror questions
- How an optical telescope works
- Function of the eye's lens
- Parts and uses of a compound microscope
These lessons cover topics you may have studied in high school and college, but there will probably be some new information, too. You can watch the videos on a computer or mobile device and move through the chapter on your own timetable.
OAE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses - Chapter Objectives
In Ohio, teachers must pass the OAE Physics exam to get certification to teach that subject. The exam has five domains, and the material discussed in this chapter may be found in the domain on waves, which makes up 14% of the exam's total score.
The OAE Physics exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions and is administered on a computer. You can get experience answering questions in this format with the quizzes that accompany our lessons. These quizzes also show you where you need extra study before test day.
1. The Nature of Light: Origin, Spectrum & Color Frequency
This lesson introduces the basics of visible light and color. Learn how the visible light spectrum is divided into the six color ranges. We'll also discuss why different people name colors in different ways.
2. Reflection: Angle of Incidence and Curved Surfaces
How do waves reflect off of surfaces? How do we account for the images that we see reflected in various objects? Discover the answers to these questions as we investigate the rays and angles defining the law of reflection.
3. Color: White Light, Reflection & Absorption
What gives color to objects? How do light waves interact with materials to produce red and green or white and black? In this lesson, learn how white light is composed of all colors and how absorption and reflection influence our color perception.
4. Refraction & Dispersion: Definition, Snell's Law & Index of Refraction
Refraction explains why light bends in water. But, did you know that mathematical laws determine exactly how light waves are bent? In this lesson, we'll explore the mechanics of wave refraction, including Snell's Law and the index of refraction.
5. Using Equations to Answer Mirror Questions
After watching this lesson, you will be able to answer questions on mirrors, stating whether an image is real or virtual, upright or inverted, and larger or smaller. A short quiz will follow.
6. Introduction to the Compound Microscope: Parts & Uses
The compound light microscope is a useful tool in any biology laboratory. In this lesson, you'll be introduced to the parts of a compound microscope, as well as understand the function of each of those parts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physics (035): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physics: Scientific Research
- OAE Physics: Scientific Data Analysis
- OAE Physics: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Physics: Science in the Past & Present
- OAE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- OAE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- OAE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- OAE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- OAE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- OAE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- OAE Physics: Oscillations
- OAE Physics: Electrostatics
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetism
- OAE Physics: Circuit Overview
- OAE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- OAE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- OAE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- OAE Physics: Modern Physics
- OAE Physics: Nuclear Physics
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physics Flashcards