About This Chapter
OAE Physics: Nuclear Physics - Chapter Summary
Allow our engaging study guide to re-familiarize you with topics in the field of nuclear physics. During your study sessions for the OAE Physics test, try using our materials to learn more about the following:
- The effects of radioactive decay on the nucleus
- Nuclear reaction predictions and equations
- Decay graphs and calculating radioactive half-lives
- Nuclear chemistry applications
- Nuclear binding energy and mass-energy conversion
Use the video lessons in this chapter to brush up on modern physics topics related to nuclear physics. Take a seat and watch as our instructors guide you through this information by using real-world examples and playful visuals that keep you fully immersed in the subject. You can review these lessons from anywhere that has a Wi-Fi signal, and all of our lessons can be watched over and over again. Make studying for the OAE Physics test more productive by using our materials, including the video lessons, quizzes, transcripts, and chapter exam.
OAE Physics: Nuclear Physics Objectives
In the state of Ohio, educators can pursue specialty licensure in a subject-specific field, like physics. To obtain this license, though, individuals must pass the appropriate content assessment test. The OAE Physics test, for instance, includes 150 selected-response questions, and the test examines topics within five key scientific domains. Queries about nuclear physics would be within the fifth domain, modern physics, and a little over 20% of the test will ask about modern physics topics. Additionally, the modern physics domain is divided into three subparts, and the objective of one of those subparts is to determine how well a teacher understands the basic principles that explain radioactivity, nuclear reactions, and other related nuclear physics topics.
1. Types of Radioactive Decay and Their Effect on the Nucleus
What is meant by the term 'radioactive'? In this lesson we will break down the three main types of nuclear decay particles and discuss their composition, their effect on the nucleus, and their applications.
2. Balancing Nuclear Equations & Predicting the Product of a Nuclear Reaction
When a radioactive particle gives off radiation, what happens to the particle? This lesson will explain the three major types of radiation and what effect they have on the decaying atom.
3. Half-life: Calculating Radioactive Decay and Interpreting Decay Graphs
What causes a radioactive particle to decay? We'll never really know, but our best guess lies in probability. In this lesson, we are going to focus on the half-life, a way of measuring the probability that a particle will react.
4. Fusion, Fission, Carbon Dating, Tracers & Imaging: Applications of Nuclear Chemistry
What can the sun do that we can't? How do carbon atoms 'date'? Are radioactive isotopes helpful in the medical field? The answers to these questions can be found in this lesson on the applications of nuclear chemistry.
5. Mass-Energy Conversion, Mass Defect and Nuclear Binding Energy
When you hear the term 'nuclear power,' what comes to mind? Do you know where that energy and power is coming from? In this lesson, we are going to zoom in on the nucleus of a helium atom to explain how something as small as a nucleus can produce an extremely large amount of energy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physics (035): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physics: Scientific Research
- OAE Physics: Scientific Data Analysis
- OAE Physics: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Physics: Science in the Past & Present
- OAE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- OAE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- OAE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- OAE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- OAE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- OAE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- OAE Physics: Oscillations
- OAE Physics: Electrostatics
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetism
- OAE Physics: Circuit Overview
- OAE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- OAE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- OAE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- OAE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- OAE Physics: Modern Physics
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physics Flashcards