About This Chapter
OAE Physics: Oscillations - Chapter Summary
Brush up on information on simple harmonic motions, Hooke's law and pendulums as you study for the OAE Physics exam. Our videos and quizzes will help you answer exam questions on the following topics:
- Formulas for simple harmonic motion
- Hooke's Law
- Equation for the spring constant
- Kinetic and potential energy
- Spring-block oscillation
- Equations involving pendulums
These lessons are designed by our expert instructors to be both instructive and enjoyable. You'll have access to a written transcript of each lesson so you can follow along with the instructor. Some of these transcripts include links to other text lessons with additional information.
Objectives of the OAE Physics: Oscillations Chapter
In Ohio, passing the OAE Physics exam is one of the requirements for certification to teach the subject. The OAE Physics exam has five content areas, called domains, and questions on the material covered in this chapter is in the domain on mechanics. This domain is the largest on the exam, making up 28% of the total score.
All 150 questions on the OAE Physics exam are multiple-choice, and the test is computer-delivered. The quizzes that accompany our lessons are in the same format. As well as giving you experience in taking tests like this, the quizzes offer an opportunity to gauge your knowledge and see where you might need extra study.
1. Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM): Definition, Formulas & Examples
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the features of the motion, and use equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems, particularly for a mass on a spring. A short quiz will follow.
2. Hooke's Law & the Spring Constant: Definition & Equation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what Hooke's Law is and use the equation for Hooke's Law to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
3. Simple Harmonic Motion: Kinetic Energy & Potential Energy
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the energy interplay involved in various situations, and use energy equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems. A short quiz will follow.
4. Spring-Block Oscillator: Vertical Motion, Frequency & Mass
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how a spring-block oscillator is an example of simple harmonic motion. You will also be able to use an equation for a spring-block oscillator that relates the frequency and mass of the block.
5. Pendulums in Physics: Definition & Equations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a pendulum is, why it is an example of simple harmonic motion, and use equations to solve pendulum problems. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physics (035): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physics: Scientific Research
- OAE Physics: Scientific Data Analysis
- OAE Physics: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Physics: Science in the Past & Present
- OAE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- OAE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- OAE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- OAE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- OAE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- OAE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- OAE Physics: Electrostatics
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetism
- OAE Physics: Circuit Overview
- OAE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- OAE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- OAE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- OAE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- OAE Physics: Modern Physics
- OAE Physics: Nuclear Physics
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physics Flashcards