About This Chapter
OAE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves - Chapter Summary
Use our lessons to refresh your knowledge of what sound is, what creates pitch, the Doppler effect and the superposition principle as you prepare for the OAE Physics exam. These videos should help you with exam questions covering the following topics:
- Factors that influence the speed at which sound travels
- Volume and pitch
- Definition and applications of the Doppler Effect
- Sound wave properties and sound perception
- How the superposition principle can be used to solve standing wave problems
These lessons help you review topics that you probably studied in high school and college, but our instructors may introduce a few new concepts, too. You can watch the videos on a computer or mobile device, anytime you've got a few extra minutes to devote to study.
Objectives of the OAE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves - Chapter Objectives
Ohio teachers who want certification in physics must pass the OAE Physics exam. This exam has five domain areas, and questions on the material discussed in this chapter are in the domain on waves, which makes up 14% of the test's total score.
Like the brief quizzes that accompany each lesson, all questions on the OAE Physics exam are multiple-choice and computer-delivered. Our quizzes let you experience answering questions in this format and also lets you gauge your learning to see if you need additional review in certain areas.
1. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
2. Pitch and Volume in Sound Waves
What do pitch and volume mean when talking about sound waves? Further your understanding of sound waves in this lesson as we explore the more familiar aspects of sound. We'll learn about pitch and volume and how they relate to sound wave parameters.
3. The Doppler Effect: Definition, Examples & Applications
What is the Doppler effect? How does it affect our perceptions of sound and light? In this lesson, learn how traveling wave sources can change the way we observe sound and light waves. Explore the applications of the Doppler effect on shock waves, sonic booms, and the movements of distant galaxies.
4. Relationship Between Sound Wave Properties & Sound Perception
After completing this lesson, you will be able to describe the properties of sound waves and explain how they relate to what you hear when you listen to a sound. A short quiz will follow.
5. The Superposition Principle & Standing Waves
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the superposition principle is, and how this leads to the formation of standing waves. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physics (035): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physics: Scientific Research
- OAE Physics: Scientific Data Analysis
- OAE Physics: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Physics: Science in the Past & Present
- OAE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- OAE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- OAE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- OAE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- OAE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- OAE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- OAE Physics: Oscillations
- OAE Physics: Electrostatics
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetism
- OAE Physics: Circuit Overview
- OAE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- OAE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- OAE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- OAE Physics: Modern Physics
- OAE Physics: Nuclear Physics
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physics Flashcards