About This Chapter
OAE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion - Chapter Summary
With this chapter's lessons, you can refresh your knowledge of types of waves and their qualities, along with facts about their transmission. These videos offer information on the following that could help you on the OAE Physics test:
- Describing wavelength, amplitude, frequency and period
- Defining transverse and longitudinal waves
- Exploring energy and motion in vibrations
- Understanding diffraction and how it relates to sound and light
- Charting the transmission of waves
- Examining constructive and destructive interference
- Analyzing the superposition principle and resultant waves
These lessons look at topics you studied in college, but may offer a little new information, too. Brief quizzes that follow let you test your knowledge before exam day. Still have questions? You can contact the instructor for personalized help.
OAE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion - Chapter Objectives
Ohio teachers seeking certification to teach physics must pass the OAE Physics exam. The exam consists of five sections, called domains, and the material covered in this chapter is in the domain on waves, which accounts for 14% of the exam's total score.
The exam is made up of multiple-choice questions and is administered on computer. Our quizzes give you experience with questions in this format and also let you see what topics might need additional review.
1. Wave Parameters: Wavelength, Amplitude, Period, Frequency & Speed
How do we measure and describe waves? How do waves differ based upon their shapes? This lesson will guide you through the five wave parameters - period, frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and speed - that we use to characterize waves.
2. Transverse & Longitudinal Waves: Definition & Examples
What comes to mind when you think of a wave? Chances are your mental image takes the form of a transverse wave. But, longitudinal waves are just as important, and understanding the difference is vital to learning about waves. In this lesson, explore both types of waves and the unique characteristics of each.
3. Vibrations and Waves: Energy and Motion
What is a wave? What causes waves, and how do they travel from one place to another? This lesson will guide you through the basics of waves. We'll discuss their origins from vibrations and investigate how they carry energy through a medium.
4. Diffraction: Relation to Sound & Light and Effects of Wavelength
This lesson explores diffraction as one of the many behaviors of waves. Learn how diffraction occurs in sound and light waves and how it is affected by the wavelength of a wave. Find out how animals use diffraction to communicate and how scientists use it to study molecules.
5. Resonance: Definition & Transmission of Waves
This lesson describes how sound and light waves are affected by the principle of resonance. Learn how resonance occurs through the vibrations and resonant frequencies of objects. You'll investigate everyday examples of resonance and learn how to break a wine glass with your voice!
6. Constructive and Destructive Interference
What happens when one wave meets another? Do the waves converge to make one giant wave? Or, do they destroy each other? In this lesson, we'll explore the workings of wave interference.
7. The Superposition Principle & Resultant Waves
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the superposition principle is, and use it to predict what will happen when two waves are combined. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Physics (035): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Physics: Scientific Research
- OAE Physics: Scientific Data Analysis
- OAE Physics: Laboratory Safety
- OAE Physics: Science in the Past & Present
- OAE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- OAE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- OAE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- OAE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- OAE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- OAE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- OAE Physics: Oscillations
- OAE Physics: Electrostatics
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetism
- OAE Physics: Circuit Overview
- OAE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
- OAE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- OAE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- OAE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- OAE Physics: Modern Physics
- OAE Physics: Nuclear Physics
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Physics Flashcards