About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques - Chapter Summary
You can use the lessons in this chapter to help you develop a deeper understanding of assessment techniques used in reading comprehension, fluency, phonics and vocabulary. After reviewing this material, you should feel comfortable in answering questions on the OAE Reading exam about:
- Listing assessment techniques used for measuring phonemic awareness
- Understanding tools used to assess phonics skills
- Explaining how to assess vocabulary development
- Describing techniques used to assess fluency
- Identifying techniques used to assess reading comprehension
- Assessing student study and research skills
Instructors present the material using simple and easy-to-follow explanations which are supported by examples and illustrations. The self-assessment quizzes accompanying each lesson allow you to gauge what you have learned and determine your preparedness for taking the OAE Reading exam.
1. Assessment Techniques for Phonemic Awareness
In this lesson, we will learn about some assessment tools for monitoring the development of phonemic awareness in Kindergarten through the second grade.
2. Phonics Assessment: Tools & Techniques
In this lesson, we will examine the components of phonics skills development and look at techniques to effectively monitor student progress in this area.
3. Effective Techniques for Vocabulary Assessment
In this lesson, we will examine various types of vocabulary assessments and discuss how teachers select words to be taught and assessed based on intended outcomes.
4. Techniques for Assessing Student Fluency
Fluency is an important component of reading, and to teach it properly, we need to know how to assess it. This lesson gives you strategies for assessing the components of fluency.
5. Assessment Techniques for Reading Comprehension
Need to assess your students' reading ability? Not quite sure where to begin? This lesson describes several techniques reading teachers can use to assess students' reading comprehension.
6. How to Assess Student Research & Study Skills
Today's teachers are tasked with ensuring that students know how to study and conduct research. This lesson will provide you with some ideas about how to assess your students' ability to ask questions, evaluate resources, and take good notes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy
- OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy
- OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development
- OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Understanding Literature
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards