About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction - Chapter Summary
In this chapter is the comprehensive overview you need to boost your knowledge of curriculum and instruction. Take advantage of quality video lessons that prepare you for the following on the OAE Reading assessment:
- Defining curriculum and instruction, curriculum design and curriculum mapping
- Sharing the benefits of integrated curriculum, and explaining how to use data to inform instruction
- Discussing the planning and execution of teaching how to read
- Identifying and describing strategies for scaffolding reading instruction
- Listing strategies for developing students' learning and reading habits
- Describing activities and strategies for student reading development
- Providing the meaning of learning, and describing effective classroom strategies
Expert instructors present entertaining video lessons packed with fun visual and audio effects. You can explore the lessons from the comfort of your home, or access them on the go via your smartphone or tablet. When you're ready to gauge your comprehension of the curriculum and instruction, feel free to take self-assessment quizzes and our chapter exam. Questions about lesson topics can be submitted to experts who are eager to help.
1. What is Curriculum & Instruction?
Learn about two guiding educational concepts that impact students everywhere. This lesson will explain what you need to know about curriculum and instruction.
2. What is Curriculum Design?
Curriculum design is a big part of teaching, but it can be hard to know exactly what it means. In this lesson, you will follow a teacher as he learns some of what goes into effective curriculum design.
3. What is Curriculum Mapping?
In this lesson we will discuss what a curriculum map is. Topics we will cover include what to include in a curriculum map, who writes a curriculum map, and what things to consider when writing a curriculum map.
4. Integrated Curriculum: Definition, Benefits & Examples
Have you ever wondered what and how an integrated curriculum works? Learn about this hot topic that is shaping how teachers teach and students learn in the classroom.
5. Using Data to Inform Instruction
This lesson highlights how data is used to improve student achievement through instruction, assessment, analysis, and re-teaching. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
6. How to Teach Reading: Planning and Execution
Feeling overwhelmed with the immensity of teaching reading comprehension? Watch this video lesson to learn four easy steps to plan and execute reading lessons.
7. Strategies for Scaffolding Reading Instruction
Ever heard the phrase 'reading is the gateway to all learning'? Reading is one of the areas targeted by most states for assessment because it not only is a critical area in academics, but also an area where most students were not showing gains. This lesson will highlight strategies to help struggling readers develop skills to be successful in the classroom.
8. Strategies for Developing Students' Learning & Reading Habits
Ever finished reading and couldn't remember what you had just read? Many students experience this, too. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies to help your students develop healthy reading habits.
9. Activities & Strategies for Student Reading Development
Helping students develop their reading skills can create learners who love to read. This lesson offers some ideas that help young readers develop their reading abilities.
10. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy
- OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy
- OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development
- OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Understanding Literature
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards