About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy - Chapter Summary
Watch our informative video lessons within the chapter to review emergent literacy topics like using written language and read alouds to support language development. You'll prepare for the OAE Reading exam with lessons covering the following:
- Supporting emergent literacy
- Alphabetic principle
- Letter identification
- Phases of emergent literacy
- Activities and resources that support emergent literacy
Depending on your learning style, you have the option to watch the video lessons, read the lesson transcripts or use both. You will also have the chance to practice test-taking skills by using the lesson quizzes to test yourself on OAE Reading exam topics. All of the provided resources will give you the confidence you need to pass your OAE Reading exam.
1. The Alphabetic Principle & Learning to Read
Learning to read can often be a complex process for children, especially bilingual and other language learners. How does the alphabetic principle come into play? This lesson will explain how all children use the principle to develop reading.
2. Teaching Letter Identification to Students
One important step in learning to read and write is learning letter names. How do teachers instruct letter identification? This lesson will describe where this skill fits into reading instruction, how to teach it, and why it matters.
3. Phases of Emergent Literacy
Teachers who work with young children can be more effective if they understand how emergent literacy works. This lesson will acquaint you with the phases of emergent literacy.
4. Activities to Promote Emergent Literacy
Emergent readers and writers are exciting to work with! This lesson will give you some ideas about what activities best promote emergent literacy. You will learn about activities for promoting oral language as well as reading and writing.
5. How Read Alouds Support Emergent Literacy
There are so many different reasons to read aloud to children of all ages. In this lesson, you will begin to understand how reading to younger children helps support their emergent literacy and put them on the path to being lifelong readers.
6. Resources to Support Emergent Literacy in the Classroom
When teaching young children to read, educators need to have a tool bag bursting at the seams. What types of resources can be used to help emergent readers, and what does that look like in a classroom? Read on for details.
7. Using Written Language to Promote Emergent Literacy Development
The more exposure young children have to written language, the better accustomed they'll become to the relationship between the written word and spoken language. In this lesson, we'll look at classroom activities that use written language to support emergent literacy development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy
- OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development
- OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Understanding Literature
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards