About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide in-depth information about instructional strategies used to increase a student's ability to read more accurately. They will prepare you to answer questions in the reading development portion of the OAE Reading exam. After you have successfully reviewed this material, you could demonstrate the following abilities:
- Explaining how reading fluency impacts reading comprehension
- Describing ways in which students can recognize sight words automatically
- Discussing methods for developing decoding skills
- Identifying activities designed to increase reading fluency
- Understanding prosody as a part of reading fluency
Each of the lessons combine easy-to-follow explanations, term definitions and examples to facilitate the learning experience and make it fun and engaging. The self-assessment quizzes help you to identify areas in which you might need further review and employ the same multiple-choice format as you will find on the actual OAE Reading exam.
1. Teaching Reading Fluency to Improve Reading Comprehension
Fluency is one of the key pillars of good reading instruction. This lesson will give you some ideas about teaching fluency and explain how fluency enhances reading comprehension.
2. Promoting & Assessing Sight Word Automaticity
One of the most important ways to help emergent readers gain in competence and fluency is by promoting their awareness of sight words. In this lesson, learn how to assess students' knowledge of sight words and how to promote development of automaticity.
3. Teaching Decoding Reading Strategies
Learning how to decode properly is a key aspect of learning to read. This lesson introduces you to some of the fundamentals of teaching children how to decode when reading.
4. Strategies for Improving Students' Reading Fluency
Learning to read includes more than just decoding words. Students need to build fluency to be solid readers. How can teachers help? This lesson outlines several strategies to help students improve fluency in reading.
5. How to Develop Prosody in Reading
Prosody is an important part of fluency in reading. This lesson will help you understand more about what prosody is, as well as how to help your students develop it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy
- OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy
- OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Understanding Literature
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards