About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics - Chapter Summary
Recall the fundamentals of phonology, phonemes and phonics with these helpful resources you are offered throughout this chapter. You'll watch engaging video lessons and take practice quizzes to get ready for the OAE Reading exam. Topics that will be covered in the lessons include:
- Development of phonics in children
- Phonemes and morphemes
- Teaching phonics
- Spelling development process
- Spelling patterns, correct spelling and spelling mistakes
- Possessive pronouns and contractions
These short lessons and quizzes will help you prepare for the OAE Reading exam. Access them either at a home computer or on a mobile device. This gives you the freedom to study when it is convenient to you. In addition, your progress is tracked on the dashboard, so you won't miss any lessons.
1. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
2. Phonological Development in Children: Stages & Overview
In this lesson you'll learn all about how children develop the ability to turn basic units of sound into actual language. We'll cover the major phonological skills and the stages of development. Following the lesson is a short quiz.
3. Morphemes: Examples, Definition & Types
The smallest recognized unit of meaning, morphemes function as the foundation of language. Explore this foundation through a full definition, discussion of types, and examples. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Teaching Phonics in the Classroom
In this lesson, you will work toward being able to explain phonics as a teaching method, understanding the connection between phonics and phonological awareness, and understanding some activities and strategies to help with teaching phonics.
5. The Spelling Development Process
The process of learning to spell can often be complicated and frustrating for students. With the right method of instruction and a solid understanding of the relationship between spelling and reading, spelling can be a breeze. Read on for details.
6. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
7. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
8. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
9. Spelling Mistakes: Common Examples & Overview
Learn about some of the most common types of spelling mistakes and how to correct them. Read the lesson and take a brief quiz to test your new skills.
10. Possessive Pronouns & Contractions: Definition & Examples
In writing, many people get possessive pronouns and contractions confused. In this lesson, we'll discuss the differences between the two, as well as how to use apostrophes in order to form contractions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy
- OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy
- OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development
- OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Understanding Literature
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards