About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy- Chapter Summary
This chapter will make your studying fun and engaging with video lessons about topics concerned with promoting enjoyment of reading. As soon as you finish viewing the video lessons, you can take the short self-assessments. This chapter provides study resources for the topics mentioned above, as well as the following:
- Ways to make language enjoyable for literacy development and positive attitudes about reading
- Design of safe and respectful learning environments
- Significance of motivation in education
All of this chapter's study resources are mobile device-friendly. You can easily track your progress through the lessons by using the Dashboard. The end of the lesson self-assessment quizzes consist of multiple-choice questions to help you practice similar questions to the ones you might see on your exam. If you have any questions, contact the instructors for help.
1. Enjoyment of Language for Literacy Development
It is easy to focus on aspects of literacy development like decoding, fluency and comprehension but then forget about the importance of joy. This lesson will discuss the importance of enjoyment of language in literacy development.
2. Encouraging Positive Attitudes About Reading
We can all agree that reading is essential for our students. How do we help them develop positive attitudes towards reading? This lesson contains a number of ideas to get you started promoting positive reading attitudes in your classroom.
3. Safe & Supportive Learning Environments: Design & Maintenance
Classroom environments should promote student achievement. This lesson will explore how a safe and supportive learning environment is created and maintained.
4. Creating a Respectful Learning Environment
What is respect? How can teachers create a respectful learning environment? Teachers, students, and schools all play a role in fostering respect for others in academic settings. This lesson offers useful strategies for promoting inclusion and respectful behavior in schools.
5. The Importance of Motivation in an Educational Environment
In this lesson, you'll see how motivation affects learning. Discover the behaviors and perspectives that relate to motivation in an educational environment.
6. How Children's Books Facilitate Reading Development
When learning to read, it's important for children to, well, read. Sounds simple, right? Not so fast. The right book can make all the difference between a positive and frustrating experience. This lesson outlines how books help children learn to read and offers a guide to finding that perfect text.
7. Strategies & Activities for Responding to Literature
A piece of literature can be a daunting task for some students. This lesson gives a few strategies for having your students respond to literature in relatable and applicable ways.
8. Setting Up a Classroom Library: Organization & Ideas
All classrooms have different needs, and having a classroom library can be a great way to reach all your students. Watch this video lesson to learn how to set up an effective classroom library.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy
- OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development
- OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Understanding Literature
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards