About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking - Chapter Summary
You will use the lessons in this chapter to support your current knowledge of or to learn new information about teaching strategies and methods designed to help students build stronger study habits and to think critically. Once you have reviewed these concepts, you should demonstrate the following abilities that could lead you to correctly answer relevant questions appearing on the OAE Reading exam:
- Describing the steps and activities used to improve study skills at the middle, secondary and postsecondary levels
- Defining and providing examples of time management
- Differentiating between homonyms and homophones
- Discussing the aspects and uses of self-regulated learning
- Understanding the practice of critical thinking
- Employing methods for the development of critical thinking skills
Explanations and definitions are presented in simple and straightforward terms, and the material is supported by examples and illustrations. To further help you prepare for the OAE Reading exam, the quizzes accompanying each lesson utilize the same multiple-choice format used in the actual test.
1. How to Improve Study Skills
This lesson will help you better understand how to improve your study skills. It includes certain steps you can take to enhance your study habits, as well as a mnemonic device to help you recall important note-taking skills.
2. Study Skills for College Success: Activities & Ideas
College students require many skills in order to be successful. In this lesson, you will learn how to help students develop skills in the areas of time management, note taking, and test taking.
3. What is Time Management? - Definition, Examples & Studies
There are more options today than ever before for ways to spend our time - or waste it! Read on to learn why and how we can better manage our most scarce resource.
4. The Role of Motivation in Self-Regulated Learning
Do you monitor and evaluate your own learning? Do you alter the way you study based on performance on assessments? If so, you are engaging in self-regulation practices and, by doing so, increasing the likelihood of academic achievement. This lesson will define self-regulation, discuss the cyclical process of self-regulation and explore methods to promote self-regulation in the classroom.
5. What is Critical Thinking? - Definition, Skills & Meaning
Critical thinking is a term that we hear a lot, but many people don't really stop to think about what it means or how to use it. This lesson will tell you exactly what it means and make you realize that the average person largely ignores critical thinking.
6. Teaching Critical Thinking Skills
Critical thinking is one of the most important habits a student can learn. This lesson helps you figure out what critical thinking skills are and how you can help your students develop them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy
- OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy
- OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development
- OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Understanding Literature
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards