About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Understanding Literature - Chapter Summary
Expand your understanding of literature before you sit for the OAE Reading examination for teacher licensure. Take a look at the forms and characters of various types of literature when you go through this chapter's lessons. They'll explain the differences between subjects and themes as well as genres and forms of writing. You can receive information about major forms of literature as you learn to distinguish between myths, legends and fables. This chapter might prepare you to:
- Understand how literary forms can influence meaning
- Discuss the history of children's literature
- Recognize the characters of traditional literature
- Identify various forms of non-fiction
- Give examples of literary motifs
- Understand literary and technical terms related to prose and poetry
When you study this chapter, you'll experience the fun and convenience of online learning. The video lessons are brief, and they can be viewed with a laptop, tablet or a traditional desktop computer. Animation and narration are accompanied by graphics, definitions and examples that are designed to help you get the most out of the lessons. If you have questions about literature, submit them to the experts using the interactive feature on the Dashboard.
1. Literary Forms & Genres: How They Affect Meaning
In this lesson, we will explore literary forms and genres. We'll define these terms, look at examples of each, and see how they affect the meaning of the texts they characterize.
2. What is Children's Literature? - History, Themes & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about children's literature, the only genre defined by its audience, through a discussion of its history and themes, while also taking at look at some representative examples.
3. Traditional Literature: Definition, Characters, Types & Books
Learn what makes traditional literature such an influential part of our culture. This lesson will break down its definition, purpose, and popular examples.
4. Non-Fiction as Literary Form: Definition and Examples
Although non-fiction might seem fairly straightforward, there are quite a few different genres within non-fiction that are easy to confuse. With this in mind, we'll consider the similarities and differences between biographies, autobiographies and memoirs, essays, and journalism.
5. What Are Literary Motifs? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about how writers use themes in works of literature as a way to explore universal ideas like love and war. You will also explore motifs, or repeating objects and ideas, which can contribute to theme.
6. Glossary of Literary Terms: Prose
The study of literature is a broad, diverse field. However, there's some general knowledge you should have before you dive in. Check out these terms to get a handle on the basics of prose study.
7. Glossary of Literary Terms: Poetry
Before you start your study of poetry, you'll want to have these technical, literary and genre terms at your disposal. Read on to learn the basics of analyzing poetry!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy
- OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy
- OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development
- OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards