About This Chapter
OAE Reading: Vocabulary Development - Chapter Summary
In this chapter you will be presented with strategies for vocabulary development that you'll encounter on the OAE Reading exam. These lessons prepare you for any questions asking about:
- Teaching new vocabulary
- Strategies for using vocabulary to understand readings
- Finding definitions using relationships between words
- Affixes, roots, and context as means to identify word definitions
- Tips for teaching vocabulary to middle school and ELL students
These lessons will be conveyed as brief videos, but are also available as full transcriptions that highlight key terminology that will aid you in your studies for the exam. Once you finish each lesson, you can take a short self-assessment quiz to determine how well you absorbed the information presented to you and how much more you may need to study.
1. How to Teach Vocabulary Words
Without a rich vocabulary, students have little foundation to understand what they are reading. This lesson highlights vocabulary strategies that can be used to develop student vocabulary skills in elementary, middle and high school.
2. How to Teach New Vocabulary
This lesson describes how to introduce a new vocabulary word and several sample activities for reinforcing the meanings of the terms. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Teaching Vocabulary in Context
Learning vocabulary in context helps people make connections for better comprehension. We'll look at a variety of learning strategies that can help students understand and incorporate new words effectively. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz questions!
4. Vocabulary Words & Reading Comprehension: Teaching Strategies
Learning how to decipher unfamiliar words is imperative in any language arts classroom. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for teaching vocabulary in reading passages.
5. Understanding Words By Their Relationships
Many words in the English language have multiple meanings. To really understand a word, we have to understand the relationship between particular words. In this lesson, we will examine this through connotations, denotations, synonyms, and analogies.
6. Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
In this lesson, we will learn how to understand the meaning of words by breaking them down into the parts that form them. This requires knowledge of the Greek and Latin roots, and affixes, which are parts we add to roots to make new words.
7. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
8. Vocabulary Activities for Middle School
In this lesson, we will discuss important elements for teaching vocabulary terms. We'll also explore various types of vocabulary activities that are appropriate for middle school students.
9. Teaching Vocabulary to ELL Students
Using a translator or carrying a translating device is not realistic when learning English as a second language. In this lesson, you'll learn how to strategically teach vocabulary to English language learners.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Reading: Standardized Assessments
- OAE Reading: Assessment Techniques
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Assessment Results
- OAE Reading: Curriculum & Instruction
- OAE Reading: Planning Reading Programs
- OAE Reading: Language Development
- OAE Reading: Theoretical Models & Processes
- OAE Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- OAE Reading: Promoting Literacy
- OAE Reading: Emergent Literacy
- OAE Reading: Fluency Strategies
- OAE Reading: Comprehension Strategies
- OAE Reading: Reading Strategies
- OAE Reading: Understanding Literature
- OAE Reading: Analyzing Literary Texts & Terms
- OAE Reading: Informational Texts
- OAE Reading: Study Skills & Critical Thinking
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Reading Flashcards